Oceanus SD 25

Started by ourford, August 21, 2023, 02:30:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ourford

Thought I'd show the internals since this reel hasn't had much coverage.20230821_091755.jpg
20230821_092006.jpg
20230821_092146.jpg
sizevs255.jpg

Except for the bronze gears, everything is stainless. The reel is generously greased with Cal's right from the factory. The last pic is a size comparison to the 255. Other than parts avalibility, I think it's a pretty fair piece.
Vic

Gfish

Brass and stainless, nice! I like the rough fiber under-gear washer and the 4-eared metal drag washers. What size class is the 25?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

ourford

I'd guess 16 lb class. It has a sticker that rates it at 15 lbs drag with a full spool, and 25 lbs with 1/2 spool.
I would say that's pretty conservative.
Vic

MarkT

It looks about the same size as the 255 so a 20-25# reel?
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

ourford

Definitely agree easy 20-25. I shouldn't have said 16 lbs just 16. I was thinking more along the lines of capacity. The specs are similar to a Torium 16
Vic

sciaenops

Purdy reel. Love my ProGears

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

ourford

It's very similar Bryan. Maybe tomorrow I'll take a 501 apart and compare it. Off the top of my head the obvious differences are the 5 stack drag, the 4 eared metals, wide ratcheting star, torx screws, and the two position non counter balanced handle.
Vic

Bryan Young

Thank you. I have it see that reel before. Interesting.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

ourford

I had some time so I took some comparison photos. What I can see that's different is:

5 stack drag
4 eared metals
wide ratcheting star
torx screws that are larger gauge
two position non counter balanced handle
Stainless shaft
Aluminum clamp
Clamp studs mount to frame
Pinion supported by bearing
Spool shaft pin instead of squared shoulder
ARB sleeve flat sided instead of flanges
The spool flanges on the 501 are thicker

Might be some more look over the pix and see if you spot any.

Vic