Airex Beachcomber- help in restoring

Started by Fishgolfman, July 16, 2023, 11:29:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishgolfman

Had a broken bail on A Airex beachcomber. Tried a combination of JB weld and a fine screw. Did not hold. So found an inexpensive donor reel with missing a foot. Want to switch rotors. How do I do it? Stuck at figuring out how to remove. It has a round cap where shaft goes thru. Pictures below.

foakes

On these vintage Airex Beachcombers, there are (2) inset screws on either side of the pinion —- inside the rotor.

Just unscrew them and the rotor comes right off.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Fishgolfman

Fishgolfman

Picture of holes for rotor removal and finished reel. Definitely not a Dam Quick, Penn SS/Z or a Crack/Luxor in smoothness. At best a light saltwater reel

Midway Tommy

Definitely not robust, but one needs to remember the infantcey of spinning reels in the US when Airex stuff was produced and popular.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Fishgolfman

I am amazed that they were commonly used and people caught big fish in salt water. Listed as one of the surf reels in Northeast. Definitely the rod not the reel!! As you have said in some posts ...a shelf reel...