Benora two speed. Another reel rescued from a pile

Started by Fishgolfman, March 13, 2023, 05:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midway Tommy

Thanks, Walter! As far as I can tell at this point is that the only purposes of the turn knob on the handle shaft is to house the push button and secure the crank handle in place. That collapsible handle design is similar to that of the later Dam Quick Juniors. I haven't figured out yet how to remove that knob.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

oldmanjoe

:D   Well Y`all got my interest peaked enough that I have one on the way to the house . It be couple 3 days before i get it and will pull it apart !
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Midway Tommy

Quote from: oldmanjoe on March 14, 2023, 05:45:45 PM:D  Well Y`all got my interest peaked enough that I have one on the way to the house . It be couple 3 days before i get it and will pull it apart !

Good! You get to be, and also work on, the guinea pig.  :d   That way hopefully I won't break mine.  ;D

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Fishgolfman

Save you all time! Decided to take a break from grant reviews!
Don't know why pics aren't in order!
Highlights:the handle has a sleeve set screw that holds gear set in. In center of gear set is set screw that holds a spring. The spring engages two ball that go up and down with spring in shaft. The small gear locks into four holes in main gear to spin on rotation. The handle spring pushes out small gear. The reel outer gear is now engaged in reel. Note case has anti reverse that is simple lever. I can't seem to activate the small gear externally as spring locked in to two balls on shaft.

Walter61

The anti-reverse system is similar or the same as the DAM Quick / DAM Quick 250 Standard, the crank is, as Tommy already wrote, similar to the DAM Junior (heart-form).
In Germany, the Coast was introduced in 1956 and the Standard in 1954

Midway Tommy

In your example yours is missing the push button on the end of the shaft. My question is if the push button is still in place and in tact how does one remove the handle tightening knob? On my reels that knob won't just unscrew off the end, it stops at the end of the threaded shaft.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Fishgolfman

My knob comes off. Perhaps thats why the button was lost. The knob turns clockwise to come off. There is a set screw hole in my knob, i think ? Dont know if pictures

Walter61

The knurled nut must turn so that the crank can be applied.
But your lost button, it had a locking screw.
I am attaching a macro image.

Best, Walter

Walter61

The coastreel (the left reel in the picture) also has this screw in the button. But you can't put the crank there.

On the right you can see the crank applied to the Standard.

oldmanjoe

Quote from: Walter61 on March 15, 2023, 07:14:10 PMThe knurled nut must turn so that the crank can be applied.
But your lost button, it had a locking screw.
I am attaching a macro image.

Best, Walter
That is starting to make seance , the set screw in the button is locked to the trip rod # 52 .   The trip rod must come out from the other side ?     What is a little puzzling is that hole in the knurling of the nut . 
It`s to close to the button channel and too far back from the threads ?  Oil port ?
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Fishgolfman

Makes perfect sense now that i have removed gear and taken apart reel. The reel is missing part 52 and button with set screw!!there is an oil port cover on stem as well. I agree that hole in knurl knob is for oiling. Benora 2speed is an interesting reel. I have locked this in as a one speed for now!! But i do like to tinker! I definitely need to get a working 2sp to fish in saltwater as I don't collect but have a nice parts reel available.

oldmanjoe

When I get the reel apart i will measure the parts and will try and make the parts that you need .  Rite now it looks to be a week before i get it .

Midway Tommy

Thanks for that photo, Walter. It's starting to make a little more sense now. That set screw in the button in my reel that I first looked at was covered in black grease so I couldn't tell there was a screw in there. I agree about the hole in the knob probably being an oil port. Mine was originally plugged with grease, too, but when cleaned it out with a pick I could see through it to the tiny button shaft. I'm wondering if if there's some type of flare, etc., that prevents the knob from being turned to far out over the button and being lost?

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Walter61

I took another picture with the knurled screw fully open. It cannot be lost and hits the button.
I also think that the hole in the knurled screw is an oil hole.

But there is still such a strange screw (arrow).
This screw has two holes, I think that should also be an oil hole. Tried opening the thing with a cut off paper clip. It doesn't work properly, I think I'll have to build an extra tool.