Benora two speed. Another reel rescued from a pile

Started by Fishgolfman, March 13, 2023, 05:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldmanjoe

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on April 01, 2023, 03:10:33 PMIf there's no eared washers I'd think spool, carbon, keyed washer, then the wavy ones.
:)  That can work too , i will give that a try..
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

oldmanjoe

Quote from: Midway Tommy on April 01, 2023, 03:22:10 PM
Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on April 01, 2023, 03:10:33 PMIf there's no eared washers I'd think spool, carbon, keyed washer, then the wavy ones.

The flat keyed washer needs to be on top directly under the drag knob.
At first i though that also ,but the springs are on top of the key .    The only movement the spring will see is when you tighten or loosen the nut .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Midway Tommy

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Fishgolfman

The "moment of truth" which started this thread.I have time to tackle after St Augustine, Fla and Barcelona. Tommy supplied me with a functional Benora, as a comparator. Joe supplied me with three important parts. The rod, button and new knob!! Many thanks. Reel on top to be repaired! Have to re read all the threads to tackle restoration.

Fishgolfman

Surprised myself on an ebay find, thinking it was same size as my original Benora. Its bigger and functional as a two speed. Chipped reel foot but fits most rods seats.

Fishgolfman

Documenting the repair! Removed the interlocked gear set from body. Removed the set screw from small gear. Using a pick i was able to get spring out. Note on small gear shaft, two ball locks. Using a small allen wrench as suggested by Joe, pushed out small broken piece. Note that the joe supplied shaft next to broken piece. Broken head has a slot for small screw driver? Hopefully slot not needed in repair. The handle screw is rusted frozen but soak overnight will loosen with heat. Spool crusted with salt which soak overnight will rid of!

oldmanjoe

Yes the original shaft has a slot .  I believe it is for back up ,in case the button was stuck to the shaft threads .   The .040 midsection  would most likely break if it was really stuck  .   That`s one of the reasons to try a straight shaft into the button .     The spring seams to put enough pressure on the shaft to screw and unscrew the button from the shaft on the original setup .

Midway Tommy

Good for you, Stephen, on picking up the larger saltwater size, even if it does have a chip foot! You don't seen them in that size often. Keep documenting and showing us the process until you've completed your total dis- and re- assemblies.   

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Robert Janssen

Thought I would add to this thread a bit... Yeah, I bought one of these a while back too. It has been on my list for a long time; just hadn't gotten to it yet.
But now I did. Opportunity came up to buy one cheaply. Granted, in poor condition, but that doesn't really bother me.

So, it arrived, and hoooeee, what a rough life it had lived. A real train wreck.
Paint flaked off, corroded all over, knobs and dials with tool rash, the skirt behind the rotor had corroded right through in places. Strangely, no salt or grime anywhere, so somebody must have run it through the dishwasher or something.

Well, okay... this can't be too hard. Just going to need some doing, that's all.

So, after some disassembly, and about that rotor skirt thing, that is a two-step process:
1) throw old one away
2) make new one

And for some more disassembly help on the pinion... that rotor was torqued on TIGHT, so I milled a couple of flats into the pinion. That will come in handy later in life.

Managed to get the shift assembly and rod apart in one piece, that is good.
Aaaand then, when i tried to get the second, handle support knob unscrewed from the main gear, it was seized up pretty tight. Twist, twist, creeeak... click.

Click. Dammit, twisted the threaded portion right off. Sigh.

Okay, that is not good, but not that big of a deal. Just go back to the lathe and make a new one. The thread is an M5 Lefty. Zipzipzip, done. Turned down a little neck on it and counterbored the main gear shaft to fit, then brazed it into place. All done, it turned out rather well.

To be continued

Robert Janssen

While I was over at the lathe, I also made a new cylindrical handle part. Stainless this time. Much better.

The body itself was actually in pretty good condition.  It just needed a skin peel spa treatment in the sand blaster along with a foundation of grey primer.
This will turn out fine with some green paint. And so it did.

All the other chrome and silver parts needed a lot of buffing and polishing, but turned out rather well in the end.
And then I also made a new conical handle screw knob, also in stainless steel.

Robert Janssen

Generally, i am very reluctant to make any changes on a reel, especially a collector's item. In this case however, the reel was in such poor condition that it was necessary, and the rest of the world should be happy that it is still alive.

All told, it came out rather nicely. And when paired with this Hardy's of England split-cane bamboo rod, will be a fine item for those opportunities when one goes fine fishing in a tweed suit.

Midway Tommy

Nice, Dr. Rob! Lucky you to have the mechanical capabilities and appropriate tools at your disposal to accomplish such a great save & restoration. Well done!  :al

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Fishgolfman

Simply amazing. I aspire to learn how to do this!!

Fishgolfman

Not all things are easy as it seems. Joe made me a wooden knob among other things for the small Benora. The handle is a probelm. I can't unscrew the knob shaft from handle. I used soaked in 50% vinegar, penetrating oil. I was able to get knob shaft to spin but nut won't cone off. Afraid i might break something. Tommy or Joe any suggestions

Midway Tommy

Stephen,
The only suggestion I have is to use the correct size screw driver on the bolt and a slotted (spanner) screwdriver or bit to hold the nut. That's what I used on mine and they came apart just fine. The threads are standard right-tight, left-loose.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE