125 Seagate

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:38:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

Thanks, guys !  Yeah, I think the old girl was never "used" much....and that was a long time ago ! The bakelite...if not chipped or cracked...holds up very well, but the plating on all the metal parts, unfortunately, usually takes quite a hit ! There is quite a ways to go, in my learning curve, to get the "chrome" parts to look as good as most of the stuff others are doing, but, I guess I have time...I ain't dead yet !! :D
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

RadarRick

I've been watching this thread for a few days as I purchased a Seagate 125 last week.  It was delivered today and it hasn't disappointed.  Below are the seller's photo.

For its age, it seems to be in excellent condition.  With its hex clicker, rosewood knob, and "250 yds" stamp on the foot, it appears to be from 1941. 

The spool is not smooth, so I'm guessing there are internal issues.  I'll open it up soon and will report back.

I appreciate the info that you guys share in this site.  It is both informative and entertaining. 
Thanks!

Rick

IMG_1348.jpg

IMG_1349.jpg 

1badf350

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Deepennz

Hi Rick,
Well done - that is a lovely example of an early 1941, Hex clicker Seagate.
Be careful - be very, very careful -  collecting Seagates gets addictive!!
I have found 4 different wooden handled Seagates - 3 came with hex clickers.
1) The first variant came with a large coin edged counterweight, no "Penn Reel, made by Penn Fishing tackle etc" embossed on the tail plate, and the handle blade, and star were made of thicker brass plate, with sharp, square edges.
2) The second variant, which appears to be what you have, still had the handle and star made of thicker plate, but the counterweight has no coin edging, and has a lower, wider profile. These Seagates also represent when Penn first started molding their "Penn Reel, made by Penn Fishing Tackle....etc" on the back plates of the Seagates, and Longbeaches.
3) The third variant is similar to yours, but the handle blade, and star are made of thinner brass plate, with more rounded edges. These seem to be the most common Hex clicker Seagate. I believe Penn must have been forced to change to thinner brass plate and plastic spools in 1941 due to the increasing demand for brass for munitions as the wars in Europe and Asia heated up.
4) The fourth variant, wooden handled Seagate I have found must have been produced next - no Hex clicker, thin brass blade and star, and no locking nut and screw on the handle - just a screwdriver slotted screw as found on the smaller Penn conventionals.
The later 1941/42 Seagates had ordinary 'kiss'clickers, and they reverted back to (some lovely) colored catalin handles.
The pre Hex clicker Seagates can also be found with colored spools - always well sought after. I have a brown/burgundy spooled Seagate, and a white spool model.
As I said earlier - Be careful! Seagates are fun, but addictive!!
Cheers
Martin

RadarRick

thanks Chris & Martin

I forgot to include the best photo:

IMG_1346.jpg

This was what impressed me the most - apart from slight scuffing, it looks like new. 

I removed the tailplate and spool and found everything to be in good shape.  However, it was totally dry inside.  The reel had been lubricated at some time as the dry grease residue is evident.  It seems that this reel hasn't been used for a long time and did not see much fishing action. 

Martin, that's a fascinating review of the Seagate history - thanks very much.  I had no idea there would be so many changes within a fairly short time.  Do each of the versions that you outline belong to a specific production year?  As you have demonstrated, there are some serious rabbit holes in the Seagate story and I will heed your warning. 

RadarRick

I'm not sure how I'm doubling up on my photos. I'll work on this.

Deepennz

Hi Rick,
The Penn Seagates were first produced in 1939 - for one year only. These are quite uncommon/a hard find!
Penn then skipped a year, and recommenced production from 1941, until about August? 1942, when Penn ceased reel production, and made widgets for the War effort!
All the Hex Clicker Seagates are from 1941. These '41/41 Seagates are surprisingly common for a 20 month production run.
If you haven't already done so, and are interested in old Penn reels, the I suggest you buy, beg, steal or borrow copies of Mike Cacioppo's 3 books on the history of Penn reels.
You mentioned that 'slight scuffing' on the tail plate - next time you have the plate off, give it a polish with good
old black shoe polish - buff it up and you (hopefully) will be impressed!!
Cheers
Martin