Quick o matic rescue. Found reel has wrong parts ?

Started by Fishgolfman, March 14, 2023, 06:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishgolfman

Clean up a CA shed find to discover its a quick o matic. Cleaned up well.it was missing a 270 drag knob. When tightened will barely oscillate and bind. I think shaft is wrong for this reel as spool seat is odd. No quick o matic to compare.

Fishgolfman

Opened up and Cleaned up a desert shed find!! A quick o matic!! I think shaft is wrong on this reel. See pictures. Found it this way without functioning drag knob. New knob causes reel to bind. No knob , reel oscillates up and down with no problem.

foakes

There are supers with the same model number —- but (4) separate versions.

There are parts with the same part number —- but will not interchange.

Here is the correct drag knob for the earlier Super LC 270.

On the right, in the photos.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oldmanjoe

I do believe that your click gear on the main shaft is upside down ...
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

foakes

Quote from: oldmanjoe on March 14, 2023, 07:06:47 PMI do believe that your click gear on the main shaft is upside down ...

Yes, that is probably the issue, Joe.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Fishgolfman

Since click plate is fused to shaft ( with rust) thought it might be the way it was on this model. Now it makes sense with a little penetrating oil and heat. It should be removed and flipped on top. Hopefully will work.  Then there are always Fred dq shaft parts... with the right knob!!

oldmanjoe

Once you flip the click gear, it will work !!    The spool went to far in the basement .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

foakes

It knew those would come apart to remove the click plate —- but I have never had any need to take one apart. 

Have always cleaned them in lacquer thinner and the US cleaner —- and found no need to separate the two.

But I guess someone did in years past.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

Fishgolfman

I thought it was going to be easy to flip over! Prior owner mangled the roll pin and flattened it! Will require drilling out and new pin. Unless i grind the head down one side and tap it out??
 Fred to rescue!? I will need a new shaft and pin and the correct 3 legged knob.

oldmanjoe

File the pin flush , than punch it out .  You don`t have to go completely out . just enough to clear the shaft . 

Fishgolfman

Thats plan A. But got to have a plan b and c!!

foakes

Here is how I support the spool shaft and click ring for removal and reinstallation.

Like all of the quality DQ reels —- the tolerances are tight as well as exact.  There is no slop, slip, or looseness.

It just fits as it should.

I always have a few hardwood blocks that I use for removing gears from axles, crank handles, bearings from pinions, etc.

Just drill a few various sized holes in some hardwood like Alder, Birch, Walnut, or Oak —- not Pine or other soft woods.

Sand them down if you wish (I do just because it looks better).

And you will find many uses.

I removed this pin yesterday —- it was tight, and required a large hammer along with a 1/16" or 3/32" punch.

To get it back in, I use a larger punch so there is no slippage.

I would be glad to send you another new, complete spool shaft.

But you have nothing to lose by giving this a try.

The key is a steady, solid support —- a large hammer —- and a steady hand and eye.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

oldmanjoe

::)  Proceed  with plan A , Plan B is already in motion ...

Fishgolfman

Will do! When back.  Business trip and fishing in Florida for two weeks!!

Gfish

On Fred's schematic it looks like the click gear is on a spool spindle as a single part, #31370.
Looks like a real well-made reel Fishgolfman.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!