D.A.M. Quick 221 — Yard Sale Restoration to New

Started by foakes, March 17, 2023, 04:55:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

A DAM Quick 221 is a very rare, capable, incredibly well engineered, and relatively unknown reel.

The only thing that sets it apart from its much more popular cousin —- the excellent and versatile 220 —- are the high speed gears —- 1:5, instead of the more typical 1:3.

Lots of folks see the 221 number, and have either no idea about these reels —- or they think it is a left-handed reel (actually many, if not most of the DQ's are easily switchable from left-side to right side crank already).

Plus, the crank arm is longer for added control and torque (useful when presenting a bait upriver —- and letting it travel naturally with the current —- while keeping it off the bottom and a no slack line —- ready for a set), a small red and silver "S" emblem on the side that denotes "Speed", and the 221 badging on the offside plate.

These reels are not that expensive when found as-is, and are not even that expensive after a possible restoration.  They are an excellent value when compared to the plastic Tupperware disposable reels coming out of Asia.

Anyway, here is a 60 year reel with original grease, frozen operation, rough & yet ready for a restoration.

After proper cleaning of every tiny nook & cranny inside and outside, burnishing & polishing of every possible piece whether visible or not, replacement of a few parts, repainting to original wrinkle factory flat black —- it is ready for another 60 years of making great memories.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

MarkT

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Walter61

Fred, great job. Great reel.

Fred, I have a question, did the 221 or 331 also come with the "High Speed" in the USA, or did they only have the "S" sticker?

Thanks in advance, Walter

foakes

Quote from: Walter61 on March 17, 2023, 05:28:53 PMFred, great job. Great reel.

Fred, I have a question, did the 221 or 331 also come with the "High Speed" in the USA, or did they only have the "S" sticker?

To my knowledge, Walter —- just the "S" 1/4" sticker —-

In subsequent series such as the '00, '01, '02, and Champion Baitcasters —- "High Speed" was used.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bryan Young

Beautiful. I love those reels.  what is the line rating for that reel?  I like the 5:1 gear ratio for fishing up to 10# bonefish and trevally. from my ultralites 2-4# test, lite 4-8# test, and medium 8-12# test lines.  My three spinning set ups for these fish on the reefs.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

foakes

Hi Bryan —-

6 to 15 pounds. 

Very versatile range for a lot of types of fishing.

As with all DQ's —- the engineering and material construction is able to fish much higher than their intended range —- in the case where a very large surprise fish is hooked —- without any damage or without breaking a sweat.

Just bait up and cast again.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

Walter61

Quote from: foakes on March 17, 2023, 05:33:53 PM

To my knowledge, Walter —- just the "S" 1/4" sticker —-

In subsequent series such as the '00, '01, '02, and Champion Baitcasters —- "High Speed" was used.

Best, Fred

Thanks Fred,  :d

foakes

Here is some information from an old owners manual I pulled out of the bins —-

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

reelynew

Wow, Fred.  That's a great restore.

What did you use to get the medallion so shiny? 

Matt
I fish because the voices in my head tell me to.

foakes

Quote from: reelynew on March 18, 2023, 03:15:27 AMWow, Fred.  That's a great restore.

Matt

I just use a very fine wire wheel on a Dremel, Matt —-

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

happyhooker

mo65

Great resto Fred! That 221 is a classic...one of my favorite small spinning reels. :fish
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Bora

Excellent work, and another great lesson, thank you.

TJAndrews

The 331 my parents gave me for Christmas in the early 70s only had (still has) the "S" sticker.

For the longest time - years - I had no idea what it stood for. I knew it was the high speed model from the manual, but the "S" remained a mystery. But really, all I cared about was that it was a joy to fish with. Even today, over 50 years later, it remains my favorite, the one I grab for first.

TJAndrews

Quote from: foakes on March 18, 2023, 04:45:33 AM
Quote from: reelynew on March 18, 2023, 03:15:27 AMWow, Fred.  That's a great restore.

Matt

I just use a very fine wire wheel on a Dremel, Matt —-

Best, Fred

I've never thought to take a wire brush to that emblem to make it shiny. I kinda like the patina that it gets with some age, a look that shows the reel has been enjoyed, doing what it was built to do, for years.

Then again, everything I've done with my reels would be classified either as use or as maintenance. I've never done a restoration.