Fools Gold

Started by Maxed Out, March 19, 2023, 12:25:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reeltyme

I have seen many instances where "bad picture guy" wanted a bid on something that just didn't show well in their photos. A simple request for more or better pictures usually solves the problem. To expect good dollars for an unseen treasure? This guy is like the pawn shop that was closing down on the "bay" and claimed it was selling a Kovalovsky reel. Can you say scam? Never bid on what you can't see.

nelz

Quote from: Reeltyme on March 20, 2023, 10:01:58 AMI have seen many instances where "bad picture guy" wanted a bid on something that just didn't show well in their photos. A simple request for more or better pictures usually solves the problem.

I did that once on ebay and the guy asked for my cell/email so he could send more pics to me personally. Uh-huh, right.  :o

JasonGotaProblem

I will say this though, doing a lot of searching and a bit of buying on CL, it's clear that one should not expect that every seller is a skilled seller. People post terribly unclear pics all the time. And a pic of the model number with the description "great condition, OBO" as if people can search the text in the image to find listings. Nevermind that their listing doesn't say if it's a reel or a treadmill. People post terrible pics all the time. They already know what it looks like, so it doesnt register to them that nobody else has any idea what the pic is of.

To misquote Carlin, think of how dumb the average person is. Well, half of them are even dumber than that. And some of those folks will inevitably sell grandpappys tackle.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Ron Jones

That isn't how notries do things.
Just saying
The man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Vintage Offshore Tackle

I bit the bullet and bought the reel.  It is perfect, exactly as advertised, except that the left side plate is unusual.  It is the only Squidder that I have seen with no graphics on the left side plate.  Instead, the name "Martha Henze Egly" is professionally engraved and filled with gold leaf, as you can see in the photo below.  There is also a 1950s era Christmas card inscribed to Martha, and signed by Otto Henze.  I think that this one is a keeper.

foakes

Good move, Randy —-

Photos?

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shellbelly

Quote from: Vintage Offshore Tackle on April 01, 2023, 08:42:29 PMI think that this one is a keeper.
I'm glad it turned out well.  There was quite a stir about that listing.  It's in good hands, now.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

JasonGotaProblem

Did not see that coming. Just think how much better it would have sold... WITH PROPER PICTURES.

Swami805

Nice score Randy, a whole different ballgame if he'd taken it out of the box
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Vintage Offshore Tackle

What's the date today?

foakes

Good one Randy!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

1badf350

I was just about to type a congratulatory response. You got me good Randy but now i feel so let down LOL
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Sorry guys, I couldn't resist!

JasonGotaProblem

You got me sofa king good.

nelz

Saw that from a mile away, lol. Fun to see the victims though.  :P