6600 C5 MagX

Started by Shellbelly, March 20, 2023, 03:44:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pointbob

i've come to the conclusion that all abu reels are the same. I know I sound mental but I've been taking them apart and modding them and tuning them for 30 years now. I currently use a 5600c3 which is an un-anti backlashed model with better bearings and dremeled the #### out of. And upgraded drags. This reel screams. I've landed a 54 pound chinook on it. And that's all it takes. I love the green sideplates on your mag reel but honestly if you know how to use your thumb you don't need mag brakes. But the green look is super cool. (check out hydro dipping reels on youtube...its a rabbit hole).

Sightly off topic but a friend asked me to fix his squeaky shimano calcutta 250 (not a cheap reel - ovr $200 usd). It was my first time taking a shimano apart. Oh my god. It had plastic bushings and so many superfluous parts - it made me deeply appreciate the abus. Just saying...

ok. thanks for the thread.
Patience comes to those who wait

ExcessiveAngler

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on March 24, 2023, 04:01:25 AMNo luck in my bin. But these come in small and large.
All right, why is there a penn mag power sitting there idle?????
Huh, huh, huh whyeee lol!

EA

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: ExcessiveAngler on March 24, 2023, 04:38:54 AM
Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on March 24, 2023, 04:01:25 AMNo luck in my bin. But these come in small and large.

EA
Bro there's so much sitting there idle right now. Keith blessed me with a portion of his collection and I have a 3 month old daughter, so actual fishing isn't a thing right now.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

ExcessiveAngler

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on March 24, 2023, 04:57:58 AM
Quote from: ExcessiveAngler on March 24, 2023, 04:38:54 AM

EA
Bro there's so much sitting there idle right now. Keith blessed me with a portion of his collection and I have a 3 month old daughter, so actual fishing isn't a thing right now.
I keep hearing his name mentioned over and over, he surely must be one hell of a guy!
Congratulations, on your new little one!
My daughter is just about to turn 20 and keep looking back, trying to figure out where all the years went!

EA

Shellbelly

OK, I've been calling around our great and vast country.  Dave's has everything except the 25222 spring and Southwest has the spring.  I appreciate all the digging and searching through piles.  Wish I was there to help clean up....and look at all your stuff. ;D

For 26 bucks plus who knows how much shipping, I can put this reel back to factory specs.  It'll probably stay that way until I find another complete reel at a reasonable price.  Gotta have a wingman reel for any reel I take out on a date.

Quote from: pointbob on March 24, 2023, 04:32:47 AMbut honestly if you know how to use your thumb you don't need mag brakes. But the green look is super cool. (check out hydro dipping reels on youtube...its a rabbit hole).

I've never had a mag brake.  Remember when you used your thumbprint to unlock your phone?  Every time I went fishing, I was locked out of the darn thing.

"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

JasonGotaProblem

A mag brake is IMO a useful addition to a skilled thumb. It's not a replacement for one. I learned on a 5000C with no mag. Frankly I'm still learning. But I've grown fond of using a mag on low. Especially against the wind.

I've been hesitant to post a pic of the new extents of my collection. I'm still trying to figure out why Keith chose me, of all people.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Shellbelly

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on March 24, 2023, 04:13:46 PMI'm still trying to figure out why Keith chose me, of all people.
Don't let that concern "rent too much space" in your head.  You'll find a place among all that stuff and that's when you'll pick up where he left off.  I choose to believe that was his intent.  Scattering stuff to the wind in an estate sale would have ended his purpose.  He got in front of that and planted seeds.  Rare character on another level. 
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

ExcessiveAngler

Quote from: Shellbelly on March 24, 2023, 04:38:41 PM
Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on March 24, 2023, 04:13:46 PMI'm still trying to figure out why Keith chose me, of all people.
Don't let that concern "rent too much space" in your head.  You'll find a place among all that stuff and that's when you'll pick up where he left off.  I choose to believe that was his intent.  Scattering stuff to the wind in an estate sale would have ended his purpose.  He got in front of that and planted seeds.  Rare character on another level. 
Unfortunately, I am quite new to this community and feel bad asking this!
It sounds like this member has moved on to the big ocean in the sky?
If this is the case, I'm truly sorry to hear this!

EA

oldmanjoe

Quote from: Shellbelly on March 24, 2023, 04:38:41 PM
He chose you to carry the torch for him !     That hand writing was on the wall back in November 
         I think he chose well !!
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Swami805

Glad to say Kieth is alive and kicking. Thinking he'll chime in from here on earth
Do what you can with that you have where you are

ExcessiveAngler

Quote from: Swami805 on March 24, 2023, 08:55:59 PMGlad to say Kieth is alive and kicking. Thinking he'll chime in from here on earth
Oh, thank goodness!
Definitely great news to hear that!
I did some research on my own and found out that hus handle is handi2 on other forums, and have chatted with him before on stripers online, without knowing who he really is!
How could you not like a guy who names his company OCD lol and actually sounds like my type of guy!
Hence my handle, I am quite excessive, and fortunately, that spills into being obsessive as well!

EA

ExcessiveAngler

Wait a minute when I looked at this earlier, there was no picture there. I was wondering what you were talking about lol!
We must surely think alike because you have some of the same parts, I was going to utilize to make my own mags, eery lol!

EA