Why a service port on Shimano spinning reels?

Started by D impala95, February 23, 2012, 10:52:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D impala95

I can never figure out why Shimano puts a "service" port on the side cover of their spinning reels. They always show servicing(lubricating) through the port by oiling. In every Shimano spinning reel I have dissassembled from the factory the gears were greased not oiled. What gives? I guess Shimano figures some kind of lubrication is better than none.
I'm a trained killer.
It's killing time but please leave oversize sturgeon in the water.

Don Leitao

Strewth

Great question and something that has always perplexed me....

coastalobsession

Coastal Obsession Deckhand and reel cleaning

kamuwela

penn also has a oiling port on the handle, i see no need either. but no oil is better then none. allthough i found a reel that was completely packed with grease. too much is no good too lol.

paal

Seems that the reels that have this service port also has the worm shaft oscillation system. Could the oil be for the worm shaft?

D impala95

Quote from: paal on February 24, 2012, 09:21:57 PM
Seems that the reels that have this service port also has the worm shaft oscillation system. Could the oil be for the worm shaft?

The service port doesn't give you access to the worm shaft.
I'm a trained killer.
It's killing time but please leave oversize sturgeon in the water.

Don Leitao

fisher480

Quite a few Shimano spin reels with maintenance ports don't have worm drive oscillation such as the Symetre, Saros etc..... It made no sense to have one on the reels as all were greased. Iwas going to m ix up some oil/grease mix for my brother in law for his reels but I find that an occasional service sorts him out anyway.