Different drag values for spool thread

Started by MexicanGulf, March 31, 2023, 10:00:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MexicanGulf

Hi newbie, please don't get angry! after this premise I would like to ask me to explain a concept that is not at all clear to me. For this I will be happy to read you, thank you in advance!!! so I would like you to explain to me why my reels on which I have spooled 1300 yards of 80 lbs... when it is almost empty with only 500 yards remaining on the spool the drag setting that I previously set will double. I did not understand how the capacity of the braid in the reels can affect the drag setting. i need clarification. thanks friends

Keta

Think of it like a lever, the closer it gets to the arbor the more work it takes to move the load.

https://images.app.goo.gl/fWWWpmDR9ayQ5cwt5
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

day0ne

Think of the spool as a lever. When the spool is full, the height of the spool is taller, creating a longer lever (the radius of the spool) to cause the spool to turn, thus needing less force. As the spool empties, the lever gets shorter, thus needing greater force to cause the spool to turn.

Keta, you posted while I was typing.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

MexicanGulf

so in summary, if I put 16 lbs on strike with a spool loaded with 1300 yards of braid... when my fishing line hits the ocean floor at 1800 feet. my setting drag on the strike position will no longer be at 16 lbs of drag but rather almost double (32 lbs) ??? did I get it right ?

Keta

It does not work out as double but you are understanding the concept.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

MexicanGulf

Quote from: Keta on March 31, 2023, 10:48:33 PMIt does not work out as double but you are understanding the concept.

Will I have to do tests directly at sea? Isn't there a method to know how much drag I developed with half an empty reel?

oldmanjoe

There has to be math formula for this .    But i did find this and  when you look at the columns you can see how drag increases as line goes out .
https://www.360tuna.com/threads/max-drag-for-100-plus-lbs-tuna.2837/page-3
  Just click on the attachment to see the pdf file 
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Brewcrafter

Mexicangulf - The theory is pretty clear above, BUT (life in the reel world never quite works out like in the lab) - With regards to the drag on the reel it will increase as a function of line diameter decreasing on the spool.  Physical drag (the resistance being provided by the friction of the drag disks) can change as well as heat builds in the system (increase or decrease - both are possible)  And the final factor that the fish sees is line drag - a few hundred yards of spectra being pulled through the water by a fish will have a considerate amount of resistance (drag) as well. - john

philaroman

jurelometer

Ok.  A formula.

Ignoring drag fade for now, the torque required to turn the spool against drag will not change, just the lever arm length, and therefore the force.

First calculate torque  with your full spool. Torque = Force * Lever arm length. Or in our case, torque = drag * effective spool radius.

Once you have the torque, divide  by  the decreased spool radius to get the new drag.

For example, 10 lbs drag at  1.5 inch full spool radius is 10*1.5 = 15 lb/inch torque.

Decrease the effective spool radius to .75 inch, and drag is 15/.75 = 20 lbs.

As John noted, frictional force along and across the line (if there is any curve in the path)  in the water can also play a major role once you have enough line out.  When the fish pulls on the line, these frictional forces have to be overcome before there is any load on the drag.  That is why it is possible for the fish to break the line at a lower drag setting with lots of line out in a current.  This is also one of the reasons that a break off usually happens on toward the fish  end of the line and not at the reel.

-J

Robert Janssen

World 2023 vs Everol 1958

MexicanGulf

My question is probably stupid but, I take the liberty of asking you experts anyway. Are there differences in drag variations between Topless reels and conventional wide reels etc.?

Keta

Not a stupid question.

As for the differences  none I have seen.

Mark Twain

oldmanjoe

If you are asking is there a difference between narrow spool and wide spool , than i would say the wide spool will take longer to build up more drag , because it takes long to decrease diameter .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

MexicanGulf

Quote from: oldmanjoe on April 01, 2023, 02:33:52 PMIf you are asking is there a difference between narrow spool and wide spool , than i would say the wide spool will take longer to build up more drag , because it takes long to decrease diameter .

that was what i thought