metal rod measure

Started by Donnyboat, April 14, 2023, 02:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhc

Don's Starrett thread pitch gauges;

and breakfast at Don's place - apparently the grease keeps the flies out of the house.  ;D

It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Donnyboat

Thanks Mike, you see the 3 rods place on chairs with news paper under them, in the afternoon, I do some epoxy coating, then move them inide to keep the dust & insects away from them.

I have sent some emails out, trying to get a copy of the manual, with the web sites you all have provided, thanks everyone for all your help, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

mhc

Don has been been busy overhauling his new lathe and doing some test runs. Good to see him starting off with 4140 chromoly instead of soft aluminium or brass  ;D

"Hi Mike this is some pics of the first trial on the lathe with the new bearings & V belts, its running really smooth & quiet now, the large piece is mild steel, the other is 4140. Cheers Don."

It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Donnyboat

Good thanks Mike, for posting the pics, once again, My son has had quite a bit of experience on lathes, much more than I new, he told me to buy a 5/8 : 16mm insert holder with 10, 3 sided inserts, & you can use both side of each insert, after we placed the new bearings & V belts in it, he then said to go down the our local engineering shed, & ask them for some scrap to practice with, as he went to school with the owner & manager, they did`nt hesitate, I had to tell them when to stop, they also gave me some bearing brass, & some delrin rod, so I went back down there to show them these two bits of metal we practice on, & the manager, said that they had plenty of used inserts that I could, collect out of the waste container, he said that some of them should cut okay for me, as is, another mate that I have, said he could resharpen them for me, with a green grinding wheel, so I wont have to buy any more iserts, they are, CK-CNC, WNMG080408-MA BP010 WNMG432-MA, but as most of you know, I will still have my hand in my pocket. thanks again Mike, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

alantani

Way beyond my pay grade. :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Donnyboat

Ha haa, Alan given a day or two & you would master it, but I need about 3 years, thanks for this great site Alan, lots of very interesting topics here, its tort me a lot, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat