April 15 THE TAX MAN COMETH!!!!!

Started by El Pescador, April 15, 2024, 02:05:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

I always try to set up my paycheck such that I break even at tax time. No benefit in giving an interest free loan to govt and then asking nicely for some of it back.

But now that I have a second kid, I actually walked away with a 4 digit return for the first time since I was in college.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

El Pescador

Quote from: Dominick on April 15, 2024, 08:32:13 PMI paid a few thousand dollars in taxes.  I really wish I owed them millions instead of thousands.  Dominick

Dominick, you need to meet Mark Cuban, the tax year 2023 he paid $276 Million DOLLARS

https://www.foxnews.com/media/billionaire-mark-cuban-dodges-question-asking-pays-fair-share-taxes-pay-owe

And to quote Mark Cuban,

" I pay what I owe.  Tomorrow I will wire transfer to the IRS

$288,000,000.00

This country has done so much for me, I'm proud to pay my taxes every single year."

$288,000,000 is MORE than all of us on this website will pay during our livetimes.  TIMES 10!!!!

Wayne 

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Swami805

We use an accountant, he's done well by us. We used to use H&R Block. He went back tru our old returns from H&R and got us a bunch of money back that those chuckleheads missed. We still pay out the wazoo but a good tax accountant is worth the few extra sheckles at least for us
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Cor

Quote from: Dominick on April 15, 2024, 08:32:13 PMI paid a few thousand dollars in taxes.  I really wish I owed them millions instead of thousands.  Dominick
My father always said something like "Those who complain about tax have nothing to complain about"
?
Cornelis

JasonGotaProblem

If you'd rather pay millions instead of thousands in taxes, it's easy. Just don't pay the thousands for a few years and it'll quickly add up.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Bill B

When I retired 3 1/2 years ago the layout on leave credits was substantial.   Even after stashing all I could in 401/457 it was large. That and some background issues I would be even Steven with the Internal Reaming Service this year. But now that mom passed away it's (as my tagline says) "It's not gonna be productive, but it's sure gonna be interesting."  And to top it off, my old labor organization won a wage lawsuit which also paid out this year. 

I'm wondering if I can get something back on my old college tuition that I fully paid for in the 80's now that the government is paying off loans.

Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Bill B on April 18, 2024, 12:57:55 AMI'm wondering if I can get something back on my old college tuition that I fully paid for in the 80's now that the government is paying off loans.

Bill

Nah, I sincerely doubt it.  ;)  Those of us that stood behind our names & signatures, or worked a job while we took some courses are just SOL. Paying for others', too, seems to be standard procedure nowadays, I guess.  >:D 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Gobi King

$280 mil tax bill,
I wonder what was his taxable income and write offs?

>:D
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

David Hall

Quote from: El Pescador on April 16, 2024, 03:19:01 PM

Dominick, you need to meet Mark Cuban, the tax year 2023 he paid $276 Million DOLLARS

https://www.foxnews.com/media/billionaire-mark-cuban-dodges-question-asking-pays-fair-share-taxes-pay-owe

And to quote Mark Cuban,

" I pay what I owe.  Tomorrow I will wire transfer to the IRS

$288,000,000.00

This country has done so much for me, I'm proud to pay my taxes every single year."

$288,000,000 is MORE than all of us on this website will pay during our livetimes.  TIMES 10!!!!

Wayne 

Quote from: Gobi King on April 18, 2024, 12:04:38 PM$280 mil tax bill,
I wonder what was his taxable income and write offs?

>:D

Lets see not making any guess at his regular income which must be substantial.  He did sell a little sports franchise for 3.5B that he bought for under 300M so his percentage of tax seems rather low compared to the 40% they burned me with.

Dominick

I wonder how much Cuban's accountant got paid to figure his tax consequence?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Maxed Out

I wonder if I changed my name to "Crime" and could pay no taxes, cause I've always been told "Crime" doesn't pay  ::)
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

foakes

Quote from: Maxed Out on April 18, 2024, 07:25:37 PMI wonder if I changed my name to "Crime" and could pay no taxes, cause I've always been told "Crime" doesn't pay  ::)

Let us know how that works for you, Ted!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bill B

As this tread has the potential to go sideways and has appeared to run its course, I am locking this thread to eliminate the possibility of it going sideways.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!