Trinidad click pin issue

Started by Toehi, March 02, 2012, 06:36:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toehi

I have a Trinidad 50 that I got in a trade.  It was missing the click pin and spring, they are ordered and on the way.  Upon further inspection it looks like the star drag goes too far past the hole on the drive shaft allowing the pin/spring to pop out.  There are no missing washers, though one of the drag spring washers are flatter then the other.  Pics stink but you can see what I'm up against, any one else have this problem?  Just add another washer?  Thanks!

Irish Jigger

There does appear to be an excessive gap between the handle and star drag. Remove the star drag and check that the following (7) parts are in place on the drive shaft.
Starting from the star drag, Washer, Belleville Washer, Belleville Washer (note, these Belleville's are a a different thickness,) Thrust Washer,  Bearing Seal, Ball Bearing, Roller clutch Inner Tube which may be difficult to extract.
Good Luck ;)

Toehi

Thanks for the reply Irish Jigger, I know the reel is not missing any parts up to the bearing.  I'll pull it totally apart tomorrow to see if any internals are out of place.  The exploded view sheet on Shimano's web site shows both belleville washers cupped, one of the washers in my reel is almost flat.     

Keta

If there are no missing parts shim it with part #TGT0481 and TGT0429 until the the star is in the right location. I'd repace both bellville washers (TGT0430) too.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

On the Trinidads, between the shaft bearing (not the AR), you usually have a thin sealing washer (to help protect the bearing), a thin thrust washer, 2 sets of Belvilles (One set is thinner that the other), a spacer washer then the star.  Even when fully compressed, I have not seen the star pass the star clicker.  Hope this helps.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Toehi

Thanks for the info Keta and Bryan, I'll get those parts and see if they fix the issue, if not I might have to send it to Alan along with my basket case Newell 550.  I'm going to pull it apart tonight to see if it's missing something internally.