HT-100s in Abu's Cross Reference?

Started by CoastieFlo, March 02, 2012, 07:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoastieFlo

Is there some type of cross reference for what HT-100 drag washers will work in what # of Abu reel ??
Just wondering.  thanks

Bryan Young

I'm fairly certain that you have to use Carbontex drags because HT-100s are too thick.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

CoastieFlo

im thinking it would be ok to use them if you had to take out a few spacer rings or maybe use one less drag washer.  If they are thicker then you should be able to get more drag friction out of them anyway.  I guess ill just measure what I have and look at the ht-100 chart.

alantani

confirmed.  all of the ht-100's are too thick.  that's why smoothdrag's carbontex helped so much!  spacing is a nightmare, otherwise. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Jimmer

Coastie - I don't believe the thickness of washers will increase drag. it's the swept surface area, thats why you get more drag with 5+1 stack using thinner washers then you do with a 3+1 with thicker washers.
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

Ken_D

Quote from: CoastieFlo on March 02, 2012, 07:08:52 PM
Is there some type of cross reference for what HT-100 drag washers will work in what # of Abu reel ??
Just wondering.  thanks

Hi. You omitted which size Abu you are dealing with. 4-5-6 sizes will only accept a stack of 3 in the present day ultracast style.  These can be either factory or smoothdrag carbontex, but not HT100.

The Chinese i7000C3 will accept Penn 330 thickness Ht-100, or factory carbon style, but not Penn 345 thickness.
As a 3-stack, with a bit of trimming.

The Swedish 7000/7000C3 will only accept Smoothdrag's  thickness, in a 3-stack.  The Chinese i7000 will take a stack of 5 smoothdrag thickness.  If you want to spend the money and up the i7000C3 to a 5-stack, then you will need to also modify the metal washer array, and lose the factory washers. When you open the schematics for both, you'll note the different part nos for the metal washers.

One cannot use an even number of washers. The array needs to always be an odd number. 1,3,5, etc. If you use thicker washers, and bend the ears of the eared metal washer/s inwards, to catch the main gear, there is a height upper limit, which you will soon see, as various stack starts to lose tolerances causing a chain reaction of unwanted binding and friction issues.

day0ne

Just wondering.  thanks

Why not just use the factory (Abu) carbontex washers?
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Ken_D

Quote from: day0ne on March 09, 2012, 05:31:28 AM
Just wondering.  thanks

Why not just use the factory (Abu) carbontex washers?

Depending on where you live, the factory washers can be twice as spendy as smoothdrag or Penn.

Ive never had a stock new generation Abu drag keep its range or top end after a few initial monthes of use. Be it in a Revo or a C series round reel.  Light years of difference using Smooth Drag washers.

Keta

I can call Smooth Drag, talk to Dawn and the Carbontex drag washers are in my mail box in 3-4 days, my ABU source takes 6-10 days.  

Carbontex washers drop in and are the right size.  

If you have 56xx/65xx reels with a anti reverse dog Dawn will put in a smaller under washer if you let her know.

Dawn is easy to do busness with and her prices are comparible to factory washers.  I tell my paying coustomers they are a low cost upgrade when disgussing what they want done to the reel.  I've even been forced to put Dartanium  washers in a reel because the owner wanted it to be factory spec  ???

Carbontex washers are cut to the right size so no modifying a HT-100 to fit (they are also too thick for ABU 56xx-65xx reels)
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

Quote from: Keta on March 09, 2012, 03:39:43 PM

I've even been forced to put Dartanium  washers in a reel because the owner wanted it to be factory spec  ???

at that point, i just politely tell them no and refer them to the manufacturer .......   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!