Okuma Customer Service???

Started by Fishnmike, April 05, 2012, 04:28:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishnmike

Does anyone have a phone number at Okuma where I can actually talk to a human?  In the process of doing a drag service on one of my Convector 30Ls I found two parts missing. This reel is less than 6 months old and has never been opened up.  Been trying to get a hold of Okuma Customer Service but it goes to voice mail which the guy never returns.  Sent an e-mail to Okuma management today with no response.  All I want is to order the two parts, sheesh!

Mike

alantani

just the general number.  it is a very small shop and the guys are frequently away from their desks.  call early in the morning. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Fishnmike

Jimmer

Just wondered which parts are missing? If it's the auto trip plate and damper spring I would leave them out in the interest of increasing pinion gear life. I have some parts in stock - if you can't get through send me a pm.
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

Fishnmike

I finally got a hold of Okuma today.

The two parts that are missing are the screw that holds the bottom of the driveshaft to the plate (930202).  This reel always had a lot of end play in the handle ever since I bought it 6 or so months ago.  When I took it apart last weekend to do a drag upgrade I found the missing screw. Funny thing was that the little washer that goes under the screw was there. Reel was brandnew out of the box.

The second part was the small flat washer that goes on the end of drive shaft with the belville(?) washers. (0920162).  Not sure this one is all that important but I noticed it was missing and I had to order the other part so I might as well get this one too.

As an aside. I have an older Convector 20L sitting on the shelf, took it apart and the screw from it fits the missing screw from my 30L. So I'm back in shape for fishing this weekend.  Also the drag washer sizes appear to be the same as the 30L but there aren't any carbon fiber ones in there. 

Bryan Young

I replaced my drag washers with HT-100s.  Measure the size and match them up to the list that Alan has posted or Carbontex that Dawn has posted.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Irish Jigger

If parts are missing from your new reel I would ship it back.
I hope Okuma Customer Service is better with you than in the UK where it is abysmal.  >:(

Jimmer

Okuma loctites that screw and I do the same (blue low strength). I've seen these snap off before due to over tightening.

Fishnmike

HT-100s, based on Alan's Convector tutorial, were ordered last weekend and should be here today.

Okuma's customer service has been good to me and they were again today, once I was finally able to get ahold of them. They are shipping the missing parts out free of charge.

The screw I robbed from the CV-20L had the blue loctite on it and I could see the remaining loctite inside the screw hole on the 20L.  There wasn't any loctite inside the screw hole on the 30L which makes me think the screw never got put in to start with.  If it had fallen out I would have found the screw when I opened the reel. Kind of a weird deal.

Jimmer

Better I guess to be missing than have a broken off screww head jammed in the gears.... The 15/20 and 30/45 series convectors use different size washers in the drags.

Fishnmike

Well thanks for killing my buzz Jimmer  ;D  I was hoping I had all the right washers ordered to do my 20L also.  Oh well, I'll get my 30's taken care of first.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys.

Jimmer

I would clamp the carbon washers between 2 nuts on a bolt in between 2 of the keyed 20 size metal washers and turn down the OD to the correct size on a belt sander, should work fine. (don't breathe the dust). A sheet metal step drill works well if you need to take out the ID in the bottom washer to fit the step inside the gear. - Good luck! - Jimmer