tld 20/30 II

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 05:14:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeferdinands, Steve V., day0ne, Squidh90, Brewcrafter, Keta, Bryan Young, Mjg378, broadway, Cortez_Conversions, Don Scheel, Donnyboat, jtwill98, Reeltyme, rogan, reelynew, Swami805, JonM, Porthos, Brendan, jzumi, natch!, the rockfish ninja, CaptainRMF, CFish (+ 4 Hidden) and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

alantani

these carbon fiber drag washers really never go bad.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

erikpowell

Quote from: SoCalAngler on February 10, 2014, 05:58:56 AM
I just worked on a TLD 30II where there was alot of play in the spool. As I tightened the drag knob it moved so much there was a grinding noise. When I opened it up I took the spool shaft out to look at the belleville washers and as I did metal parts fell out. On a closer look the C lock #0179 fell out in three pieces. This reel has a Carbontex drag washer and a after market drag plate. The problem seems the owner leaves the drag engaged at full or close to fish fighting pressure when not fishing the reel. Not sure this is the problem you have but in order to engage the drag with enough pressure to fished the adjustment knob needed to be screwed to tight that the drag went from nothing to very hard with slight movement of the lever.

With some after market parts these reels can be fished with plenty of drag over stock. Here is a pic of my TLD 30 II.

SoCalA.. that's a great looking 30... Where'd you get the frame?  .. Magnum 30 ? 
Vinaka
Erik

SoCalAngler

It's a Tiburon frame, when I purcased it many years ago they didn't have the topless verson out yet. If I were buying now it would be topless for sure. The reel has one of Cal's dragplates but Cal no longer makes them, I think Tiburon or someone else still makes them though. The extended handle arm and knob are from Dawn at Smoothdrag.

alantani

i think i still have a few of those.......

erikpowell

Really Alan?
I've got a 20II and my buddy has four 30 II's
I'm thinking I'd like one for my 20. Let me know what you have and maybe I can get him interested too.
sweet.

alantani

erikpowell

Vinaka Bosso !
.... you guys are up late tonight  :D   it's after dinner here..

sydluxer

Just coming back to my issue with the steep drag curve - couldn't figure it out myself and gave it to shimano. They said they played around with the drag washer. Anyway the problem is not completely resolved, but fishable now. Also it somehow seems to slowly get better fishing it. At 7lb strike it now has about 16lb at full. My new "full" is one click past strike, hopefully it continues to get better  ;D Very weird...

Thanks for the help guys, very much appreciated!

Bobsled 55

"now carefully lift the side plate, leaving the drive shaft and gear assembly on your working surface.  please resist the temptation to disturb the drive shaft and gear assembly."

I must have missed that part.

So, I took mine apart last night and put it back together.  Everything went back on and it shifts into high and low fine, except the drag is hosed up.  Drag is applied when the lever is in freespool positon and freespool in the strike position. Then if I try to move the lever back to where it's suppose to be in freespool now the lever only goes to 1/2 between strike and freespool.  Any ideas?

alantani

pull the preset knob off and remove the cam, then place the lever in the "free" position, install the cam inside the lever so that it "nests," then the spring and the preset knob.  i think that will do the trick. 

Bobsled 55

I'll try that.

Thanks Alan.

MarkT

Alan, if you still have any of Cal's drag plates I'll take two.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

alantani

all you have to do is shim the drag pressure plate and change the belleville configuration and you'll get enough drag to break the frame.  no drag pressure plate required!

MarkT

Good enough for me.  I'll do that.  Of course my 30II has a Willfish topless frame and my 20II has a Tib topless frame so getting enough drag to break them may be a challenge!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

alantani

if you need the washer set, let me know!