Stradic 5000FJ anti-reverse

Started by kylevd6, March 12, 2012, 06:30:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kylevd6

Hi guys I'm new to the website nice thing you have going here. I'm currently guiding in southern oman where I had my reel dropped overboard but luckily not lost, I have taken many reels apart without any issues,so that evening I decided to give me new reel a wash out due to the salt water submerge. Upon putting the reel back together a client picked up my roller clutch assembly and out jumped everything. I put it back together but my reels anti-reverse isn't working. I think the problem could be the roller clutch assembly,or something else I'm unaware of! So my question for you guys is can someone explain to me how to assemble my roller-clutch assembly, and if that's not the problem do they any suggestions as to why the anti-reverse isn't working.

Many thanks guys
Kyle

Irish Jigger

kylevd6

Thanks for the post irish jigger, I had a look at the link u posted but its all in spangelise to me, I understand the functions of the roller clutch but not sure wy mine isn't working! If anyone can help would be much appreciated, maybe alan tani can add some imputs here please

Nessie Hunter

Depending on the type of roller bearing, it may just be easier and less stressful to replace it with a new one...
Some are close to impossible to re-assemble!!!!!!!!  

I have spent hours and hours on a few of them.  
With Magnifying glass and tweezers.
Needing 4 hands and luck..
Just to have them fall apart as I assembled the other side or just not work at all when done..

Save yourself!!!  Buy a new one....    LMAO   ;D

But I did salvage a couple also, so it is possible.... 
I do not, I repeat, I do not take them apart any more - ever!!!!!

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Bryan Young

In the roller bearing, there are a bunch of springs to disengage and re-engage the anti-reverse bearing.  It's quite possible you may have lost a spring or two.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

BigT

Not sure if it helps but here's a pic of an AR bearing in a Stradic 2500 FH. You can see the general position of the springs and pins.

Did you grease or oil the bearing? They're very sensitive to being over-lubricated and will often slip if given more than a 'fingerprint coating'.

Cheers, T
more of my rebuilds on
http://www.fishraider.com.au

alantani

sorry, guys, but that's just painful to even look at.....   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

sunsetkayaker

I have the same question, only my reel is a spheros 4000FA (The picture looks very similar to my reel).  I did not dissemble the anti reverse, but I did open the roller clutch assembly.  I was wondering if you ever got an answer.  I have opened it up and closed it several times, but I can't figure out why the anti reverse is not working. Maybe the orientation of the springs is incorrect?

johndtuttle

Quote from: sunsetkayaker on February 21, 2014, 02:31:10 AM
I have the same question, only my reel is a spheros 4000FA (The picture looks very similar to my reel).  I did not dissemble the anti reverse, but I did open the roller clutch assembly.  I was wondering if you ever got an answer.  I have opened it up and closed it several times, but I can't figure out why the anti reverse is not working. Maybe the orientation of the springs is incorrect?

What you want to do is look up a fine post my MattK called "roller clutch on Sedona".

This is  fine tutorial that will show you precisely how to get the clutch back together to work properly. I've been meaning to do one myself for this site so that we don't lose that one that I have sent probably hundreds of guys to as I link it often.

It's not hard at all with a reference, without, it is a classic Shimano puzzle ;).

sunsetkayaker

Nevermind, I figured it out.  The Roller Clutch assembly was put together correctly. The problem was the "barrel" between the roller clutch and the ball bearing was upside down.  It was not shown on the schematic and presumably part of the roller clutch assembly.  Anyway, the fat part goes up into the roller clutch assembly and the small part goes down on the bearing.  It doesn't work otherwise. Thanks for your help anyway.

johndtuttle

Quote from: sunsetkayaker on February 21, 2014, 03:16:44 AM
Nevermind, I figured it out.  The Roller Clutch assembly was put together correctly. The problem was the "barrel" between the roller clutch and the ball bearing was upside down.  It was not shown on the schematic and presumably part of the roller clutch assembly.  Anyway, the fat part goes up into the roller clutch assembly and the small part goes down on the bearing.  It doesn't work otherwise. Thanks for your help anyway.

O yea, lol, that will happen too. Glad you got it sorted.

best

philaroman

yeah, you gotta' put that "hat" on upside down & it's annoyingly missing from many schematics

johndtuttle

Quote from: philaroman on February 21, 2014, 07:54:45 PM
yeah, you gotta' put that "hat" on upside down & it's annoyingly missing from many schematics

because the tolerance are so admirably tight they are sold as a unit only (roller clutch plus sleeve) which is somewhat common when a reel company sells clutches.  But that's a good reminder and the next time I do a Shimano tutorial I will make a point to show the orientation of the sleeve as this surely comes up frequently.

best

philaroman

Quote from: johndtuttle on February 22, 2014, 12:43:59 AM
because the tolerance are so admirably tight they are sold as a unit only (roller clutch plus sleeve) which is somewhat common when a reel company sells clutches...

Thanks -- that's a really good point that I've never considered.  Never had a problem switching sleeves around, but I guess I've been lucky...  then again, I don't think I ever strayed too far by country/year of manufacture, or basic platform/price-range (e.g., Stradic<=>Symetre, Sahara<=>Sedona, etc.)

Now I'll start storing them as sets & know to try different sleeves from the parts I've already mixed, if the A/R doesn't feel quite right.

alberto u

i see this is a very old post.
if you still want to know how to solve this I think I can help.
I service my anti reverse clutch once a year with no problems.