Tutorial: Garcia Mitchell 3-0-0 Spinning Reel Service

Started by treidm, March 13, 2012, 03:06:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Hi G --

Mike is right -- M&C should have these.

But the right thickness and specs are critical on these old Mitchells -- and it might be kind of expensive for just 3 spacers for shipping.

If you have not made arrangements yet, and could use 3 (Mitchell recommends 1-3, as needed) just PM your address and mailing information -- and I will send some out at N/C.

These are the shims for the Pinion, Body, under Rotor assembly -- to take out the roughness for better gear alignment on the pinion.

There are also shims for under the baffle plate, if this is what you need.  Have those too.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

triumphrick

This brings back some memories..... 8)

I was twelve in 1959 and this was the first reel that I ever took apart. It was only a year or so old, but I fished every day with it as a kid growing up in Florida...and it had a few issues.

A newspaper on the dining room table and a tin of 3in1 oil and I was off...

I will always remember the first time I had the bail spring out, and could not get it to seat back in place.....a very trying experience for a twelve year old!

happyhooker

handi2

Quote from: triumphrick on August 31, 2018, 06:29:05 PM
This brings back some memories..... 8)

I was twelve in 1959 and this was the first reel that I ever took apart. It was only a year or so old, but I fished every day with it as a kid growing up in Florida...and it had a few issues.

A newspaper on the dining room table and a tin of 3in1 oil and I was off...

I will always remember the first time I had the bail spring out, and could not get it to seat back in place.....a very trying experience for a twelve year old!

Me too Rick. Those were the only reels available for me to fish with. I fished the Pensacola Beach Pier with a 300 and a 302. We had to fix them ourselves back then.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Jdurbin92

I'm new to this forum.

Upgrading to carbon fiber drag washers on 300/301 Mitchell's

How do you know which spot the carbon washer goes in? Do you still use the other washers?
I buy the carbon drag washers off eBay. They are sold in set of 2

Thanks

happyhooker

Greetings, Jdurbin, from Minnesota, USA.

I myself do not use carbon fiber on my 300 and related Mitchell reels.  I know some others that do.  I look forward to their (and anybody else's) comments on your question, particularly in light of the fact that Mitchell offered many different spools for the 300, some metal and some not, and I wonder if the answer varies depending on what spool might be in use.

Frank

Swami805

Pretty sure you just replace the stock washers with the greased CF. As long as they're the same size you're just replacing one material with another. If the kit you're buying  has more washers than the stock reel consult with the vendor for that particular kit. If they're thinner but the same number of washers you might need to double one up to increase the height of the stack. Other than that good general service as discussed you should be good to go
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Jdurbin92

Thank you

Which type of grease do you use on carbon fiber washers?
Just apply grease to the top side?

Irish1

Is Photobucket making these images blurry now so they can no longer be seen? Great tutorial and it's a shame that you can no longer use the pictures for reference.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Irish1 on September 15, 2019, 02:59:24 PM
Is Photobucket making these images blurry now so they can no longer be seen?

Yep, they're hijacking photos again for a fee!
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

jgp12000

Fullbail

jgp12000,
You might try right clicking on a blurred out photobucket image.  The window that appears lists various choices. If you select "View Image" with your cursor, your computer should open up a separate window with a clear image.  I am using a PC.
Good Luck,
Bill  :)

oc1

Quote from: Fullbail on February 14, 2020, 05:05:08 AM
jgp12000,
You might try right clicking on a blurred out photobucket image.  The window that appears lists various choices. If you select "View Image" with your cursor, your computer should open up a separate window with a clear image.  I am using a PC.
Good Luck,

I don't get VIEW IMAGE as one of the right click options.  I have to right click, then click PROPETIES and copy/paste the URL address into a new window.
-steve

Midway Tommy

Quote from: oc1 on February 14, 2020, 07:08:08 AM
Quote from: Fullbail on February 14, 2020, 05:05:08 AM
jgp12000,
Good Luck,

I don't get VIEW IMAGE as one of the right click options.  I have to right click, then click PROPETIES and copy/paste the URL address into a new window.
-steve

IDK, Steve, it works for me. I get a box with "Open image in new tab", "Save image as...", "Copy Image", "Copy image address", "Search Google for image", and then below a line "Inspect    Ctrl+Shift+l". You can only open one image at time in new tabs, though, but you can have multiple tabs with images.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)