Saying goodbye to crap surge brakes and hello to electric/hydraulic

Started by Maxed Out, March 23, 2012, 07:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

A few years back I switched my drum brakes over to disc brakes on my boat trailer. I did notice a difference but the tongue accuator always klunking and klanging was annoying to say the least. Also had issues from time to time with the reverse lockout solenoid.

Soooo, last summer I made the plunge to electric over hydraulic brakes. A good friend helped with the install and between the 2 of us we got it done in about 2 hours.

So with my under dash controller I can set the amount of braking that occurs when I step on the brake pedal and no more reverse solenoid, and no more klunking and klanging with the new one piece reciever on the tongue of the trailer.

We used a spare tire mount and a simple fabbed aluminum plate with a flange on each side to hold the electric master cylinder up off the trailer and also the emergency brake battery and breakaway switch. This also helps to insure that all the components will never get dunked in the drink when launching or retrieving.

Can't believe the huge difference in braking from the trailer. Makes me wonder if the surge brakes were ever even working (I know they were, but nothing like the electric/hydraulic). Glad I made the switch and I'll never have another boat trailer with surge brakes.

Here's a couple pics
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Norcal Pescador

Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

fishnazzi

finished product looks good...........goatram has some good fab ideas!!!
Fishing as often as possible with my son and as many veterans as I can.

alantani

very nice.  so this means you can use a weight distribution hitch?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!