Source for IAR bearing for abu garcia?

Started by zward, March 24, 2012, 10:27:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zward

Wondering if any of you guys know where to get the IAR bearings for an Abu Garcia Ambassadeur (record no.60)?? I called up Abu and they'll either sell the whole sideplate with IAR bearing or they want me to send the reel to one of there repair shops and have them press in the bearing. Would like to do this myself just cant seem to find a good source for them.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!
Zane

Ken_D

Hello. Jack Erskine in Australia has them for about 12 USD and stamps. There is a well-known Canadian reel repair outlet in British Columbia who has them for around the same money and stamps.  

In order to get any kind of deal on these things, according to the Seattle or BC's German factory 'rep', you need to buy 250 of them from INA.  Motion Industries in Chicago used to carry them. Unsure if they still do.
At the bulk level, and at 10-12.00 retail, they could be sold at a tidy profit. Maybe Alan or Dawn could set that up at a retailer who can move them out the door quickly.

There are a couple of tutorials out there that show the method of remove and replace. One shows the use of a couple of mechanic's sockets, and a vise, and others indicate removal without the need of a vise, using an Allen screw, a socket, a nut and a washer.  

For myself, I use so few annually, I buy a 14.50 sideplate from Abu, remove the bearing, and use the bare sideplate in a rebuild reel, using mechanical anti-reverse. (Abu has 2, maybe more, low cost plates w/brgs: 1 for 14.50, the other at just over 15.)

zward

Gotcha thanks for the reply. Talked to Abu and the sideplate for this particular reel is $21. Actually not as bad I'd thought being that most radial bearings I buy are 10-15 bucks anyways. Probably just go that route, just have to hope the IAR bearing in the spool is fine as well... Not impressed at all with anti reverse setup on this thing

Thanks again!
Zane

Dawn

I'm getting ready to stock some, anybody got the size for this one?
Any others needed or wanted, would appreciate any info on sizes.

Dawn
Dawn

New Site Yellowcat

Try this one  "Z"

http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/CTGY/One-Way-Bearings

Don't know the size you need, but I've got bearings from them..  Great service for me..

zward