Star Turns.....!!??

Started by qcguy4198, May 23, 2009, 07:47:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

qcguy4198

I have an old Ocean City 4/0 "Big Game" reel I'm trying to keep "on the water". This was Dad's reel...the one he used to catch Tarpon in Guantanamo Bay during fleet exercises just after WWII. It's been a good reel all these years, and I enjoy taking it out now and then on the ( also old...)wood handled solid fiberglass rod to enjoy a bit of nostalgia. I'm trying to replace the drag washers...and in doing so, I seem to have developed a problem, which I'm not sure is related or not. When pulling line off the reel with the drag set pretty tight....the "star" handle unwinds as the spool turns...thereby automatically lightening the drag. For more serious use...I fish Penn conventionals...4/0 & 6/0's....and don't have this issue with them.
Your thoughts, suggestions, or whatever you might wish to contribute are welcome.
Thanks.

qcguy4198

PROBLEM SOLVED....!!!!
I continued researching the many excellent posts on this site, and found the answer to my problem. A simple re-ordering of the metal spacers in the drag stack...and we're off to the races...!!!
NOW...if I can find some new drag washers for this old beauty...
The originals are thick "fiber type" material ( 3). Any source for something likethat...?? Alternatives...??
Thanks again..!!

alantani

match them up with something from this list.  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=21.0  the drag washer outer diameters can also be cut down easily.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

qcguy4198

Thanks Alan...
You're assistance and advise are awesome..!!
I've printed out the entire table for reference and will be spending some time on this rainy morning here in So. Fla. with my caliper in hand...