Abu Garica 6500 c3 2 speed

Started by KemaZhu, March 29, 2012, 02:51:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

Are your drag washers too thin?  I first tried with carbontex drag washers between the upper and lower plates and I had the same problem. Then I switched to the thicker HT-100s and they seem to be working fine now.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Robert Janssen

Hmm, yeah... Bryan might be on to something there. I seem to recall talking about this once before, which reminded me of a post maybe six years ago at another forum. Here is what I wrote then:

"There are a total of four drag washers involved. Two of them (3902 and 20171) are really only used to control the shift function and thusly not susceptible to as much wear. The others (15094 and 20172) are the actual drag washers and can be changed without undue difficulty. The small stainless pin need not be removed.

Sizes:

3902 = 15.5 x 8 x 0.5 mm, of phenolic laminate. Could be max 17 OD.
20171 = 18 x 9.2 x 0.8 mm, of leather.
15094 = 26.5 x 12 x 0.8 mm, of leather
20172 = 26 x 14 x 0.8 mm, of leather

Note, drag washers 15094 and 20172 could allow a thickness of approximately +1 mm total. That is, they could be say 1.0 or 1.25 mm thick each; it shouldn't matter. "

Maybe there is something to it. Will have to look later.

Ken_D

Quote from: Buddyboy on February 20, 2013, 01:12:54 AM
Robert,

That was interesting.  I enjoyed reading the Abu section. Here's a question for you - if the shafts are only supposed to slide a couple of millimeters, why is the groove almost an inch long? I understand that the shafts should only move far enough to keep the proper gears in contact. But why would they make that slot so long?

Thanks

Hi. What groove is an inch long? Do you mean that milled slot where the little chrome pin fits? That groove is barely 5/16's. if memory serves.  When the pin is in, things barely move. The machines that made the parts would have to have clearances to get the tooling in and out. As Dr. Rob says, my 2 speeds have never failed, either, so yours is an enigma. Reading the rest of the posts, I have never altered the drag stack, and it sounds as tho you have, then that may be it as Bryan indicates, and Dr. Rob is on the verge of concurrence.  :)

Robert Janssen

Sorry for delay. So, i looked. Yes, there is something to what Bryan says. But, the difference in thickness of the drag washers needs to be very large for it to actually cause the drag to nonfunction.

That is, the new drag washers, if they've been replaced, need to be at least half as thick as the originals, for the drag to stop working. This i know because i tried removing both of the drag washers one at a time, and the silly thing still works.

(This is a result of the wider brass spacer eventually bottoming out on a step on the outer shaft. This could of course be rectified by adding a washer or something, but more wisely by adding a drag washer, or using thicker ones.)

So, summarily, any drag washers between 0.4 and 1.3 mm thick ought to work. With 0.8 mm being ideal.

And that was that...

PS: One inch slot? I have no idea.  

EDIT AND ADDENDUM, 3½ YEARS LATER:
So I was just flying around the internet, when I happened to see this... holy smokes; the OP Buddyboy was right. There is a very long slot in that part. Maybe there was a change at some point? Still dunno why it would be so long though. Can't compare it to my reel, since the pin is stuck in mine. Well, just wanted to correct that wrong.

Robert Janssen

Quote from: Bryan Young on February 14, 2013, 02:08:44 AM
... I wish I had clear sideplates.

Quote from: Robert Janssen
I've spent an hour looking for a picture of an Ambassadeur with clear sideplates i made a few years ago. Couldn't find it. Too bad. Next time.

Well, here we go... Not a 6500, but close enough. Looks like i didn't finish it, though. Remind me to do that someday.

erikpowell

Never seen this post before...... Wow Doc.  ;)

I wonder if buddy boy ever figured it out.
Between you and KenD, the help doesn't get any better.  ;)

Robert Janssen

Oh, thanks. Glad you like it.

Of course i still haven't finished it. Now i've been reminded though...

Rancanfish

Sorry Robert, but you are reminded again!  I love reading your posts, and anxiously await your book.   ;D

I actually have one of these too.  I at one time thought it would be the ideal reel for turning the head of bigger Lingcod as they try to dive back to the bottom.  Have any thoughts?  I'd hate to abuse it.

I loaded it with 20lb Maxima, put it on a shelf and never did try it. But my fascination with this reel goes on.

Ran
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

handi2

Well I got my hands on one that the drag didnt work. Same symptoms as the others in this post.

The driveshaft was not moving. After carefully getting the parts to move and adding 1mm Carbontex drag washers to the main drag only its all good. One 12x26x1mm and one 14x26x1mm. I didnt change the small washers in the gear assembly.

This was my first one of this 6500C3 2 speed. I have done the other larger reels.

Thank you to the tutorials..!!

Keith

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL