Upgrade Penn 113H

Started by ReelCreel, May 26, 2009, 04:46:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReelCreel

I am gearing up for some East Coast shark fishing from the beach (and at times from a pier). On one outfit I am putting together I am going to use a Penn113H that I already have in my kit. The reel that I now have is a newer version with the graphite reinforced plastic frame. I plan on loading it with 80# TUF-Line hollow core spectra and a 60# mono topshot. This rig will be used at night for bait fishing where bait and weight are cast from the beach (or perhaps from a pier).

Does it make sense to upgrade this reel for this application? For example does the Tiburon aluminum frame offer advantages over the current frame? How about Carbontex drag washers and new metal washers...thin set vs. thick set? Then there are the ABEC 5 bearings...SS vs. ceramic?  Also a SS yoke...any advantages?

I would appreciate your thoughts and advice on this application. Thank you.

alantani

i think the penn 113h is one of the best bargains around.  put a #6-875 drag washer under the main gear and toss the old fiber washer.  grease all of the drag washers, lube everything up and you're good to go!  the graphite frame is not great, but it will work perfectly well.  if you have problems down the line, THEN we can talk about dumping more money into this reel.  until then, let's fish it as is.  i think you will be very please.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!