Drowned Accurate B2-870

Started by Owen, August 22, 2009, 03:05:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owen

G'day Alan,
Last weekend my Accurate B2-870 went over the side in 170 feet of water  :'( :'( :'(
Amazingly, the line got tangled with my mates line on the way down and we retrieved it 5 minutes later  :D :D :D :D :D

Anyway, I have stripped it and cleaned it out, but I'm just wondering what (if any) recommendations you have in terms of re-assembly that might enhance reliability and performance.

i.e.
I have downloaded he Accurate video tutorial on it, and they recommend dry drag washers.
I know you usually use grease, but I haven't found anything on the site regarding Accurates.

Also the main bearings are sealed.  I plan to strip the seals and re-oil the bearings with reel-x, but I'm not sure if the seals are likely to be damaged in the process, or indeed if it would be better to leave them out.
Would it be better to oil, or grease the main bearings?
I don't use this reel for casting, just bottom fishing in medium/deep water and a bit of trolling.

I plan to use Cal's on all the gears etc.  Reel-x on the anti-reverse and any other bearings and Inox MX-5 as a general protectant/lubricant everywhere else.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

cheers,
Owen

alantani

hi, owen!  accurate has been greasing their drag washers for the last several years and they are using cal's grease.  the bearings will be the biggest problem.  i would recommend that you crack open each bearing and clean it out.  for the spool bearings, i would then lube them with xtreme reel+ or corrosion x (your choice) and install the bearings open.  for the other remaining bearings, i would pack them with grease, replace the seals or shields, and re-install them.  then there is the matter of the two anti-reverse roller bearings.  i would carefully clean them out with carb cleaner and very gently blow out the excess with compressed air.  be careful here.  the anti-reverse roller bearing have small steel pins that will fly off into never never land if you hit it hard with compressed air.  if that happens and you lose the pins, you will need to ship the side plate back to accurate.  they will have to press out the old roller bearings and press in a new pair.  they need to be cleaned out, though.  otherwise, they will rust.  actually, they may have rusted already........
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!