Penn 80ST drive plate replacement??

Started by Busted!, June 03, 2009, 10:36:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Busted!

I bit the bullet and ordered some more drive plates for this reel (the one with the 'pulsing' drag...).

After two months they turned up, and the inner fits fine.  The outer (with the click dog catches) just will not fit at all...  The outside diameter of the cam pins is too big to fit into the cam 'teeth' inside the drive plate, and the plate basically drops right out of the shield when you try to assemble it.

I have ordered the two drive plates off the exploded parts drawing, the part numbers of the plates that I received are inner:117AN-80T and outer:117DN-080T.  I think the outer I should have is #117N-080T?

Is that correct or is there another reason why this isn't a drop in replacement???

Thanks, in advance!!

alantani

if these are the parts that i'm thinking they are, then you may have to shimmy this thing on.  work it in, maybe even tap it in.  it should go, though.  can you give it a light tap and let us know?  thanks!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Busted!

Yeah, nah, there was no way that the supplied part would ever work with the original anti-reverse pawl assembly.  The pawl mounting pins in the left hand sideplate of the reel would have fouled the dog recesses in the new drive plate.  The replacement part was similar to the old one, a gold anodized assembly and that was a direct replacement.  Dropped straight in and we are back in business!

The only way that I could see the originally-supplied outer drive plate working was if the shield was left out, and the anti-reverse pawl assembly in the left sidewall removed and replaced with the newer, physically smaller pawls.  As it stands now I have one Dura-drag inner drive plate and an HT-100 outer.  I gave everything (including the Dura-drag washer) a decent dunking in Cal's drag grease and left it at that.

I think, that because the part I ordered was "outer drive plate 117N-080T" and the supplied plate was 117DN-080T that that is the cause of the mis-fit.  Hopefully the 117N-080T plate is still available, because when the supply of the discontinued drive plates dries up it's going to make it rather hard to do anything with the drags in the 80ST-family reels...