Shimano TLD10 - drag, belleville and handle upgrade

Started by redsetta, April 06, 2012, 10:29:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetta

G'day all,
Here's a nice little TLD10 I picked up off Albert recently (cheers mate).
It was missing the handle, but that worked out sweet as I had a TLD15 spare on hand.

It's clearly had a good life and seen plenty of action.
I spooled it up with 9kg Suffix mono, then set to work on a couple of upgrades.

A quick strip down and here's all the component parts.

The drag washer had already been upgraded to CF.

It's a looser weave than I usually use and also of a smaller circumference than the  spool cavity, so I cut a replacement.
Side by side...

And fitted...

Next, it's on to the belleville upgrade.
The left-side spool bearing is the same as the right-side main bearing, ie 7 x 17 x 5.
The order is bearing, thrust washer, 2 x bellevilles (), thin shim washer, pre-load body, one thick and one thin shim (both with a small ID).

The original belleviles are about 1.5mm thick when oriented ().

The upgraded bellevilles are part number #TT-0040A and about 0.5mm thicker when together.

With the addition of the thicker bellevilles, you'll need to remove the preload washer between the bellevilles and the preload body.

Reassemble the main shaft components like so: preload body (and pin)...

Thick and thin end shims (spacers A and B)...

Thrust washer and bellevilles...

Slide the clicker plate and bearing back into place...

And fasten the two screws.

Back to the right side - slide in the thick brass thrust washer.

The spool and the drag plate bearings are both 6 x 12 x 4mm.

Don't forget the spring...

On with the cooling shield...

Slide the spool back into the frame, checking that the cross pin and main shaft aren't binding in the frame.
The graphite tends to swell a little over time, which eventually limits freespool as the main shaft can't move back and forth freely.
I filed a fraction off all inner surfaces of the cavity and it's all spot on now.

The right-side plate bearing has been replaced, the main gear greased and the dog/spring re-fitted.

Use a small screwdriver to hold the dog back and slide the main gear down fully.
The AR gear should now be engaging.

Replace the gear shaft thrust washer...

And the gear shaft shield.

Refit the right-side plate and fasten down the five screws.

The spacer is metal and goes on first.
Give it a light coat of grease as it tarnishes over time.

The lever thrust ring is plastic and goes on top.

The lever quadrant goes on next and fastens down with three screws.

Lever next...

Then the lever shaft body (aka cam), with the o-ring seal in place.

The handle is from my TLD15, which I'd upgraded earlier with one of Alan's Kolekar arm/handle combos.

Replace the handle nut and handle lock.

And... done.

These are great little reels that are very hard to come by these days.
I'd never actually seen one before this, though the TLD15 is very common here in NZ.
I don't think the 5 or 10 were ever imported here.

The TSI301 has once again done the trick - freespool is more than a minute and silky smooth.

Hope it's of some interest.
All the best, Justin
PS Schematic here for part numbers etc: http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/schematics/albums/shimano/Shimano_TLD_10__87.pdf
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Irish Jigger

Very interesting Tutorial, Justin. Wish I had that a couple of weeks ago when I tackled my first TLD.
Bellevile's and washers everywhere and a very tight bore in the Left Side Plate. >:(  Got there eventually. Prefer the star drags to be honest.
Nice to see that someone can read a Vernier today. ;) ;D ;D

kamuwela

Makule

Justin,

The handle was removed but packed in the box.  On  the reel, it would not fit in the box.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Bryan Young

Hi Justin,

when I upgrade the bellevilles, I normally have to remove the thrust washers from the Belleville stack.  On a couple of TLDs when I removed that end washer as you did, I sometimes run into the spool rubbing on the frame.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dominick

Quote from: Makule on April 06, 2012, 05:29:48 PM
Justin,

The handle was removed but packed in the box.  On  the reel, it would not fit in the box.
Huh?  Justin:  Did you throw out the handle with the packing material?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

redsetta

Thanks Tom/Kamu.
QuoteDid you throw out the handle with the packing material?
Yes, it would appear so.
The recycling was collected yesteday, so it's history now... :-\
C'est la vie - at least I had a replacement!
Quote...I sometimes run into the spool rubbing on the frame.
Thanks Bryan. I haven't come across this myself but, seeing as you've pointed it out, I've updated the tutorial accordingly.
Cheers lads, Justin

Bryan Young

Oh, I forgot to thank you for the tutorial...Thank you!!!  Nice work. 

I'm not making any reel tutorials anytime soon...top Shot Tutorials are coming soon.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Makule

QuoteThese are great little reels that are very hard to come by these days.
I'd never actually seen one before this, though the TLD15 is very common here in NZ.
I don't think the 5 or 10 were ever imported here.

Dang, I should have charged you more for it.  Just kidding.  Always glad to help a fellow Forum member.  Glad the reel got a good home with someone who can take care of it and use it (you are going to use it, right).
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

redsetta

Yeah Albert, aside from the few I keep as lenders and kids' gifts, I use 'em all.
Definitely looking forward to getting this one out on the water. ;)
Cheers, Justin
PS There are still plenty of 5s and 10s in the US and elsewhere, just not in NZ...

Ruffy

Hi all,
I had been tossing up getting a Charter Special 2000 new (approx. $220 AUD) when I saw a TLD10 for $65 and picked that up instead. It's got a bent lever quadrant, and the lever is missing the piece that hooks over the quadrant so I'll be up for a few parts as it is. The drag is jumppppppppy so that will get an upgrade, but otherwise it spins pretty freely. Plan is to pack all the bearings with grease, this will be a trolling/bottom bashing reel for which I'll take salt water protection over castability.

One thing I noted, is it does not have a line guard on the front bar. nor the screws for one. Does that make it an early model TLD10? Hope to have it loaded up and fishing soon.

Cheers,
Andrew

Ruffy

Just out of interest.

I was tearing through this TLD10 and found a part which does not feature in the schematic. It is a second (?felt) washer on the inside of the drag cooling shield. It was stuck to the inside of the cooling shield and seems to be related to heat dissipation. It was identified in a different thread about TLD15's here (https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=28612.0).

Cheers,
Andrew