saltiga 30t

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 05:20:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

falconer

I modified a Saltist 30T with a Duracoat finish and replaced the left and right side plate screws with stainless Allen head machine screws.  Took some looking but they're out there.  I bought Boca spool bearings, reassembled the reel with Tani-ized interior, with marine grease film everywhere and Smoothdrag woven carbon fiber drag discs, and Cal's drag grease.  Also, inspired by a tutorial done by a guy in Australia, I installed a rabbit ear spring on the Ambassadeur-style anti-reverse dog.  The Aussie gentleman made his from a ballpoint pen spring, but I made mine from titanium single strand leader wire.  Very "springy" and no chance of ever corroding.  I sent the whole thing down to Alan for his bearing magic, and had him install a longer crank arm (Fleabay) and one his excellent Kolekar handles. The Allen head screws seemed like a no-brainer, as exemplified on this thread by the busted screwdriver, though on my reel, seized screws are not gonna' be a problem.  I bought the reel used, with the usual dinged-up paint job, on the Bloodydecks Classified page, and it was obvious when it arrived that it had never been serviced.  It was dry (very little lube), with a grindy pinion bearing, but not corroded. 

Back from Alan Tani, it spins like a top, so hopefully if there are a lot of anchovies in the bait slammers of San Diego's long range fleet this summer, the little buggers will be able to pull line okay. 

Bottom line:  If you don't mind a little sleuthing at the industrial fastener supply houses in your area, you can come up with Allen replacements for the stock side plate screws.     

johndtuttle

Quote from: alantani on April 01, 2014, 11:44:29 PM
jim's saltiga 50 just blew up.  same problem. 

I'm thinking there is a sticky drag at least contributing here?

LTM

Falconer,

Please post pictures of the rabbit ear spring and details. Also post some pictures of your Duracoat job.

Thanx,

Leo

falconer

Sorry for not replying earlier.  I forget to follow up comments sometimes!  Gotta' go to the other computer here the photos are.  Might need to crack the right side of the reel if I forgot to photograph the spring.  The New Zealand guy, "Reefman", (I misidentified him as Australian earlier) has his spring arrangement photographed at:  http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=1495.0.  He used a spring from a Bic pen.  I used a piece of Toothproof titanium single strand leader wire.

falconer

Here's a photo of my Durocoated Saltist 30T, after its return from Alan Tani with Tani-ized bearings and Kolekar handle installation.  The Cobalt Blue color is actually darker than my camera shows.

I did not take it apart to photograph the titanium anti-reverse dog spring, but in a previous post included a link to the guy in New Zealand ("Reefman") who inspired it, with the modified Bic pen spring he installed in his Saltist 50H.  His photos are excellent and very diagnostic:  http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=1495.0

LTM

Falconer,

Thanx for the update.

Leo

cmaraj1

i have the salitga 50t, and i let a friend use it on the charter boat, and i now notice that the clutch lever is crooked and has alot of play in it, from side to side. theres also like a ring that i see is crack in the bottom part of the lever,  anyone know how much this would cost to fix???

cmaraj1

did changing the drag washers to carbon, up the drag pressure?

Anglerboi

Quote from: Irish Jigger on February 22, 2012, 01:37:05 AM
Thank's Alan,will check it out.

It's been a while since anyone posted a question here but I still regularly use and service my saltiga 40 and 30t.  Im having issues with my clicker engaging on aggressive casts.  Any suggestions on how to make my clicker knob tighter and not have it move around without myself engaging it?

Cor

First time I read this thread...........
Quote from: falconer on April 20, 2014, 06:20:20 PM
Sorry for not replying earlier.  I forget to follow up comments sometimes!  Gotta' go to the other computer here the photos are.  Might need to crack the right side of the reel if I forgot to photograph the spring.  The New Zealand guy, "Reefman", (I misidentified him as Australian earlier) has his spring arrangement photographed at:  http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=1495.0.  He used a spring from a Bic pen.  I used a piece of Toothproof titanium single strand leader wire.
Not Oz nor New Zealand guy, he is a well known dentist in South Africa and participant in many fishing forums. ???

As to the broken spool, I have a 40 HK, not long after i got it in 2006 the spool broke in precicely the same way and for no reason of abuse.  Diawa would not replace it but eventually sold me a new one at 1/2 price.

After replacing the spool, Ive used the reel a lot and caught numerous Yellowfin Tuna  (up to about 65kg) and large Albacore on it and it has served me well.

Other minor trouble I've had:-
* Clutch lever spring broke and a piece got in to gears and messed up the Pionion which I had to replace.
* Drag got cooked on Yellowfin (happens) ;D

Just saw this colourful photo of a young Yellowfin on my computer and thought I'd add it to this post, cought Feb 2014!   I estimate about 50 kg.
Cornelis

alantani

Quote from: Anglerboi on July 21, 2018, 09:48:13 AM

It's been a while since anyone posted a question here but I still regularly use and service my saltiga 40 and 30t.  Im having issues with my clicker engaging on aggressive casts.  Any suggestions on how to make my clicker knob tighter and not have it move around without myself engaging it?

gotta squeeze the spring together a little tighter. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Anglerboi

Quote from: alantani on July 21, 2018, 03:49:10 PM
Quote from: Anglerboi on July 21, 2018, 09:48:13 AM

gotta squeeze the spring together a little tighter. 

I got it, I will try this today today.  Thank you

MarkT

Do those Saltiga's have graphite spools?
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Cor

Quote from: MarkT on July 21, 2018, 07:20:56 PM
Do those Saltiga's have graphite spools?
Some type of Alloy.    
At the time when mine broke they told me that there had been some issues with the spools and that it had been fixed.   Probably true as Ive not heard of similar problems since then.

PS. Just looked up my old spool and made a photo.    The silver area on the top edge of the spool is the result of casting wear by thumb.
Cornelis

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!