Smaller Penn reels

Started by wong2a9, April 14, 2012, 04:18:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bayhouse

Quote from: Cone on January 20, 2014, 05:56:13 AM
One other thing. The silent dogs don't like grease. they depend on friction to help them engage. The ratchet and silent dog fingers should be dry for them to work.  Bob

I think this might be the issue, I greased that area up pretty good and began to wonder if perhaps the grease was limiting the action.  I'm traveling this week and will clean the grease off to see if it fixes the problem.

If that doesn't work, sounds like replacing the dog is next.

Thanks for the great - and fast advice all!

Bayhouse

Quote from: Cone on January 20, 2014, 02:35:19 AM
Sometimes you can squeeze them together and they will work again. I changed the silent dogs out for sprung dogs. They are noisy but more reliable. I like the noise though.  ;D ;D  Bob

^^^  This solved my problem, thank you!  Reel is back together now and ready to fish.

Cone

Glad you got it working again!
Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

LTM

Quote from: Cone on January 20, 2014, 02:35:19 AM
On the reels like the one Sal posted pictures of, there is only a silent dog. The eccentric only keeps it from engaging. The silver pieces on each side of the dog grip the ratchet. When the ratchet turns backward the dog engages. Sometimes you can squeeze them together and they will work again. I changed the silent dogs out for sprung dogs. They are noisy but more reliable. I like the noise though.  ;D ;D  Bob
Cone,

Would you post some pictures with some details on changing the friction/winged dogs to spurng dogs?

Leo

Cone

Leo, I just saw your post. I will take a picture and post it soon.
Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

fishhead69

Do you have a tutorial on the smaller and different Penn 430SS? The main gear seems to be stuck and will not come out. After I disassemble it do I just tap the end of the shaft where the handle screws onto? I don't want to break something. You have to take the main gear out to remove the pinion and the large bearing as one unit right? Then there is the trip cam, does that trip the bail to close? These smaller Penn SS reels seem to be easy to work on but the parts seem to seize up easier. That is a huge bearing for such a small reel. Any expert advise would be greatly appreciated.

Alto Mare

On smaller reels the spool shaft needs to come out first for the main gear to come out. Not so, for the 650 and up.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

fishhead69

Yes I removed the spool shaft first and the main gear does not come out. It must be seized up where it goes thru the right side plate. So it should come out if you spray it with PB parts buster and tap the end of the shaft where the handle screws onto. Would that be the best way to get the main gear out?

Doug

I am by no means an expert but the 430ss and 420ss are a little different than the rest of the ss series. The internal drive train is very similar to the older 700 series spinners with the addition of a silent ar dog as opposed to a spring driven one. I would look over the instructions for the housing disassembly of the 704z . once the spool shaft  and the crosswind arm and roller are removed the main gear and shaft should lift right out. The ar dog is engaged to its ratchet on the inside of the main gear and I think comes out with the gear. The rotor and bail assembly are about the same as the other ss reels  I hope this helps

foakes

If the main gear and handle shaft are frozen and not turning? -- get some penetrating oil or PB as far as possible into the shaft area where the gear shaft goes through the housing.  Get some of the PB into the oiler hole on top of the shaft housing also.  If the shaft is turning, the job won't be as hard.

There is a brass bushing that seems like part of the housing -- but it is replaceable, if the gear shaft is gummed up, or?

My experience is to make sure everything is out of the way -- soak the shaft overnight -- place the housing on a flat chunk of wood, with the handle shaft pointing up -- hold a piece of wood against the top of the shaft -- then tap the wood with a hammer.  Sometimes you do not want to get too aggressive -- but this is what is needed in this case -- it will come out.  Inspect the gear shaft, bushing, and the interior of the shaft housing.  

Get it all cleaned up with a drill bit covered with "0000" steel wool -- clean and polish the shaft, and bushing.  ReOil and put it back together -- shouldn't be any issues -- let us know how you did.

Good luck,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

LTM

Im pretty sure there's a snap ring retaining the pinion gear.

Leo

Alto Mare

You are correct Doug, the 430ss is very similar to the 700 series.
https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/430ss.pdf
fishhead, I would take Fred's advise on removing all that you can and soak it in some penetrating oil.
I would then screw the handle back on, but not all the way and use it to help push the gear out.
If that doesn't do, it will need to be topped out.
Good luck with using PB, I'm not able to use it. That stuff is nasty, but gets the job done.
Paslode solvent cleaner has been working wonders for me. I'm not affiliated, I use it on my jobs and one day decided to take it home and try it on some parts. I did not stop using it ever since.
Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Sal

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

fishhead69

Thanks Fred. I think you hit the nail on the head or the handle shaft on the head. Your method is exactly what I was thinking to do but I wanted to get some confirmation first. You are a smart man and I will try that method for sure.

fishhead69

Boy that main gear shaft was seized really bad. After hitting it with PB parts buster many,many times and hitting the end of the shaft where the handle screws onto with a hammer with hard plastic ends, it finally came out an hour later. Ugh! Now the large bearing won't come out. There must be a trick in removing the pinion gear to access the bearing. Is there a certain technique in getting that pinion gear and bearing out?

foakes

The pinion bearing has a snap ring holding it in place -- sometimes grease or oil hide this pretty well in it's groove.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.