Smaller Penn reels

Started by wong2a9, April 14, 2012, 04:18:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishhead69

I did remove the snap ring that goes on top of the bearing but still the bearing and pinion gear will not come out. Don't you have to remove the pinion gear first before removing the large bearing? Is there a trick in removing the pinion gear?

Cone

It is probably frozen in the housing like the other bearing was. You may be able to put a large washer on the pinion after soaking it with penetrant. Use the rotor nut to secure the washer. Be careful when you are prying on the washer you put on the pinion. I would hate for you to damage it. Good luck!   Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

handi2

Quote from: Cone on October 07, 2014, 11:34:53 PM
It is probably frozen in the housing like the other bearing was. You may be able to put a large washer on the pinion after soaking it with penetrant. Use the rotor nut to secure the washer. Be careful when you are prying on the washer you put on the pinion. I would hate for you to damage it. Good luck!   Bob

I have a large fender washer hanging on the wall for doing this like Cone just posted. Put the washer on the pinion gear and then replace the nut. You can hold the reel upside down and tap on the washer until it starts moving.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

fishhead69

A large fender washer is a great idea. I will try that.

Doug

Here is a little trick that worked for me on a larger model . Get a washer of at least the diameter of the housing lip that will still fit the the pinion shaft, 2 3/8 bolts aprox 2 inches long with nuts, Drill 2 1/4 inch holes on each side of the washer  and put in the bolts with the nuts on the underside of the washer. When you tighten the bolts the washer will pull up and the bearing should come out. Very cheap home spun bearing puller. You can put 2 smaller washers under the tips of the bolts to spread the load and protect the housing, The only pain is to drill 2 holes in the washer , a drill press realy works the best . Hope this helps Doug

Doug

Oops got the bolt size messed up. should be 3/16's or the next size down from 1/4 inch that will pass thru the drilled holes  Doug

bluefish69

Quote from: Doug on October 11, 2014, 04:09:05 PM
Oops got the bolt size messed up. should be 3/16's or the next size down from 1/4 inch that will pass thru the drilled holes  Doug

If you keep doing this I will tell Marc
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Doug

Yeah Mike I just turned the calendar into my 70's and sizes get confusing and matter much less than function  Doug

bluefish69

I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Alto Mare

Some are asking about the cam spring and its position. Since I didn't post a good pic of it above, I'll post it here on how it should go.

These reels are a little harder to work on than the bigger brothers, due to the smaller parts.
if you're not familiar with them, take your time.
Usually when you take the bail trip cover off, the parts that I'm showing above will go flying, it will help if you hold the reel with the spool facing down as you gently remove the cover.
The spring gets hooked on the lever cam with no tension. Once you set the parts as I'm showing, gently place the cover on, again, with the spool facing down and everything should stay in its place.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Thanks for that shot Sal. I kept trying to put the T shaped piece on the bottom flat with the cover. Now I know why that slot in the cover is there. ;) Those parts on the bottom aren't in any schematic.
You have taken me to school again Buddy! ;D
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

Just finished up my first service on a 5500SS today.  She needed a new spool shaft, pinion, main, and spool shaft bushing cap.  2hrs and it's as good as new.  Took me 2 tries to get the cam spring position right, and I had to play a bit with the silent dog to get it working properly, otherwise pretty straightforward and not unlike their big brothers that I am more familiar with.  I typically don't like to service spinners (I've only done 1 Stella, 3 Stradics, and a larger Penn for customers.  But I guess I don't mind working on these Penn's so much.  It's nice that parts are just a short drive from home as well.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

ktugboat42

Thanks for the great write up. 
I referenced it for the bail cam reassembly on my 4300ss.  Between my failing eye sight and sausage fingers, this reel was a pain to put back together. 
Give me a 6500ss or 7500ss over this any day.
Pete

LilRascal

Hey all,

I just completed breakdown/service/repair on a Gen 2 440SS.

Just a tip: You need to remove the spool shaft (#39) and the auto reverse eccentric shaft (#6A) first before you can remove the main gear (#8). To remove the Eccentric shaft you just need to remove the eccentric screw (#16) and the eccentric lever (#6E).

Chris
Chris
CB, NC

thorhammer

A  buddy nabbed a 4400SS for a deal, needs parts but still a deal....he tore it down on my bench with zero idea of how it goes back together...I pulled this tutorial to see where a couple broken bits may have come from, and of course, it's from my man Sal. Miss him every day- I can't turn 90 degrees in either shop without seeing something he had hands on. I had the good fortune to sit at his bench where this tutorial is.

I just poured a very large Evan Williams nog in a Mason jar (Thanks for the albacore, Ted!), dropped two shots of Kraken in it, and Sal and I are putting this thing back up to snuff.

And thanks for the parts, Ms. Mo!