Smaller Penn reels

Started by wong2a9, April 14, 2012, 04:18:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wong2a9

has anyone ever done a tutorial on a penn 550ssg or any ssg smaller?  I see there is one for the 650 but I wasnt sure if it was pretty much the same.  Anyone?

Bryan Young

They're pretty much the same.  Don't worry, you will do just fine.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

I'm with Bryan. The smaller reels do have additional springs by the bail area though. If you can service the larger ss models, you shouldn't have any problems with this one. I'm showing some shots of the 450ss, it might make things a little easier for you...I think :-\. All of my reels have the full metal housing, I'm not a fan of graphite.

As usual, remove the spool and handle.

Next, you'll remove the side plate.

On larger reels you could pull the main gear right out,on this reel you'll need to pull  the spool shaft first.

And the gears come right out

Next, you'll remove the rotor

At this point you'll make sure that all parts are in good shape
Also check the pinion and bearing

The bail works fine on this reel, I'm just showing the parts

And that's pretty much all that there is to it, just reverse what you did and if you don't have any parts left on the bench, you're good to go ;D

Enjoy!
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Sal,

when are you going to double dog this baby? ;)

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

wong2a9

Wow thanks Sal.  I wasnt expecting a full breakdown and pictures.  Thanks a lot. 
Ryan

Alto Mare

Not a problem Ryan, I'm glad to help.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Hadge

That's a great pictorial. It comes in very handy for guys like me.
I've been keeping my 450 ssg 's going with repair and maintance. I now know the benefit to the old ss models.
I was fishing Florida Keys the month of March; I treated myself to a new penn battle 4000.
Only time will tell if that reel is better than the 450 ssg.
I do like the penn's they are nice to work on with help of guys like you.
Would you believe I broke a bale spring on one of the 450 ssg's and a bait shop in Marathon Fl. had the part. If anyone is in the Keys and needs penn parts try "the tackle box baitshop" nice people.

Have a great day
Hadge
Hadge

Alto Mare

Thanks Hadge! I'm glad that you're enjoing those Penn's.
You're right, they are nice reels and easy to service,
Florida is one of my favorite place to fish, I've been down to Islamorada a couple of times. I've visited most of Florida, East and West, but fishing was limited..... threatened by the wife ;D.
Take care.
Sal

Hadge

Sal,
Just got a ebay 450ss price was not to bad but the reel reflected the  price.
Anyway I had to do a lot of work on it but only needed to buy a bale spring.
I'm with you the ss model is stronger than my newer ssg's.
Your pictures help so very much to get it all back together right.
I now have a great working 450ss 8)

I really need to learn to place pictures on this site so I can give back some help as well.
;)
Hadge

Alto Mare

I'm glad it helped you Hadge, I use the 450ss often. Yes, it would be nice to see some pictures, if I can post them so can anyone else ;D.
Take care, Sal

Bayhouse

Thank you for the PICS - were very helpful on my first tear down on this reel.

I have a problem and could use some advice.  The AR is not working.   The trip camp (28c) has the right motion, but it will not swing back to lock the gear.  I can push it manually and that engages the AR so it's not restricted motion.  The ECCENTRIC SPRING also engages when I flip the AR lever but perhaps it's not moving enough to force the trip cam back into place?   Before I order parts, I thought i'd check here to see if it could be something else.

Thanks!

Cone

On the reels like the one Sal posted pictures of, there is only a silent dog. The eccentric only keeps it from engaging. The silver pieces on each side of the dog grip the ratchet. When the ratchet turns backward the dog engages. Sometimes you can squeeze them together and they will work again. I changed the silent dogs out for sprung dogs. They are noisy but more reliable. I like the noise though.  ;D ;D  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Hadge

Hey Bayhouse,
I'm no expert but I just fix one of those 450ss up
You should check the dog that sounds like your problem.
Like Bob said there is a little tentsion clip that may be to loose. ( part #4)
Good luck Hadge
Hadge

Cone

One other thing. The silent dogs don't like grease. they depend on friction to help them engage. The ratchet and silent dog fingers should be dry for them to work.  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Shark Hunter

Sprung dogs are the way to go. It is a weak point in the spinners. Make it engage all the time and that is one less problem to worry about! ;)
Life is Good!