tld 15

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 05:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sermak

I just finished upgrading a couple of my TLD15s. I ended up doing both the carbon drag washer and the thicker bellevilles. I followed Alan's instructions here and everything went smoothly. The reels freespool nicely and the drag ramps ups faster and higher with the new bellevilles.

I have to ask though....I assume the bellevilles are to be installed on the shaft in opposite directions with their outside edges touching. Is this correct? I don't know that this is ever mentioned in Alan's thread but the original, factory bellevilles seem to have been installed like this.

Thanks.

handi2

You have them right. Facing each other like this ().
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

sermak

Beautiful! Thanks for clearing that up. Even though both reels are working great, that would have been nagging at me. :)

scharebear

Was wondering about Spacer B, key #58 at the end of the spool shaft. I think I see it in the disassembled picture but not when you re-assembled with one less Spacer A, key #47. Did you leave this out too? I ask because I just tore down one of my TLD 15s and believe someone already did your upgrade but there is no Spacer B, key 58 in my reel.

Also, how long should a dry bearing spin or how else can I tell if it's ok?

Thanks!

alantani

Quote from: scharebear on June 19, 2018, 03:37:28 AM
Was wondering about Spacer B, key #58 at the end of the spool shaft. I think I see it in the disassembled picture but not when you re-assembled with one less Spacer A, key #47. Did you leave this out too? I ask because I just tore down one of my TLD 15s and believe someone already did your upgrade but there is no Spacer B, key 58 in my reel.

Also, how long should a dry bearing spin or how else can I tell if it's ok?

Thanks!

yes, i did leave the washer out.  good catch!  for dry bearings, 10 seconds is a very long time!  i've been getting less picky about bearings. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

scharebear

yes, i did leave the washer out.  good catch!  for dry bearings, 10 seconds is a very long time!  i've been getting less picky about bearings. 
[/quote]

Sorry to belabor the point. So I don't need Spacer B? This doesn't leave too much play on the spool shaft?

alantani

the heavier bellevilles take up the space. 

scharebear

ijlal

Hi Alan,

Hope you're doing good. Please help me overcome a mind block!

I recently got hold of a TLD15 in reasonably good condition. I shall be replacing the stock drag with a Penn HT100 washer, however, there is something I just am not able to negotiate with. In my dull mind, I imagine that the drag washer should revolve with the spool and all the braking should occur because of the friction between the drag washer and the steel drag plate. All the lever drags I have had and have serviced have had immovable drag washers that revolved with the spool and rubbed against the drag plate, except the TLD15. Don't you think this arrangement of an unfixed drag washer makes the drag sort of unstable?

I am changing the washer anyhow... just wanted your expert opinion on it.

Cheers,
Ijlal
I live 'fishing'!

alantani

smoothdrag.com makes a drag washer for this reel and can ship to you.  there is a #6-25 ht-100 drag washer that is very close.  if you have trouble finding one, let me know and i might be able to help, but i generally recommend the carbontex drag washers from smoothdrag.  as far as the drag being able to move, it will be locked in place when you screw down the large spool cap.  i see it called a cooling shield.  not sure why they gave it that name.  anyway, the cooling shield will lock the drag washer in place. 

ijlal

Quote from: alantani on July 08, 2018, 11:07:44 PM
as far as the drag being able to move, it will be locked in place when you screw down the large spool cap.  i see it called a cooling shield.  not sure why they gave it that name.  anyway, the cooling shield will lock the drag washer in place. 

Thanks Alan, that explains it.

Quote from: alantani on July 08, 2018, 11:07:44 PM
smoothdrag.com makes a drag washer for this reel and can ship to you.  there is a #6-25 ht-100 drag washer that is very close.  if you have trouble finding one, let me know and i might be able to help, but i generally recommend the carbontex drag washers from smoothdrag.
Today, I was amazed to see some Penn lever drag washers at a local tackle shop. If I find the 6-25 washer, I'll get that and do the modification on my TLD. If not, I'll let you know.
I live 'fishing'!

ijlal

Update:

I could not find #6-25 drag washer but got a couple of larger washers, cut one crudely, with a pair of scissors - not very accurately, but it doesn't matter as long as I haven't cut it too small. I also found some extra bellevilles, so I'm all set.

Also bought a #6-114HSP set with which, I'll try and upgrade a friend's Daiwa 600H.  ;D

I'll update once done.

Cheers,
Ijlal
I live 'fishing'!

alantani

remember that first class postage is very slow from the united states to your country, but it does work!

Speckled_trout

This is a terrific tutorial, thanks!  I'm servicing my TLD15 reels for the first time and these instructions and photos have been valuable.

2 things to add here:

1) One thought I would offer to others who might read this string is, during reassembly, it may take more time than you think to properly reset the preprogram dial (key #9), the lever shaft body (key #11) and "O" ring (key #10), and drag control lever (key #12). Getting those adjusted properly was more nuanced than I knew.  I kept getting either zero response... the spool wouldn't spin at all, let alone the drag not working.  I dissembled/reassembled my TLDs at least 6 times trying to understand the problem. I kept thinking it was the pinion gear (key #198) that was poorly seated or even the side plate bearing (key #28) was malfunctioning.  In the end, it seems that by fiddling with the drag control lever and pre-program dial I was able to get the drag to work better.  They are not 100% as new and the drag feels rough but at least they work now.  I'll keep fiddling with these.

2)  I do have a odd scenario with 2 TLD15 reels.  1 of my TLD15 reels makes the classic 'clicking' during retrieval... which I believe is result of the click pawl (key # 231) and click spring (key #57) working properly.  However my other TLD15 reel doesn't make this clicking sound much, it's only faint. Seems to work OK however I wonder if it's a problem if the reel spool isn't completely seated so that the click pawl is engaged. Does anyone else have that problem?

Thanks.

alantani

the lever is in the free position when you put everything together, right?  you shouldn't have a problem. 

as for the clicking, usually the more muffled anti-reverse pawl has grease on it.