Stradic Ci4 Felt washers vs Carbontex ?

Started by reefmonsta, April 29, 2012, 07:56:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reefmonsta

Aloha,

Ordered some carbontex drags for one of my ci4 reels (a 2500) and was under the impression they had the standard shimano dartanium drag washers in them.  When I pulled the drag stack found some white "felt", spongy type washers.  Are these just in the ci4 reels?  Are these considered dartanium II washers?  And are there any pros or cons with these stock washers versus the carbontex ones. 

What I found interesting is  how the stock shimano drag washers kind of got sticky and dusty or wore out leaving a black film.  I have had some epic battles with my small 2500 reel and found bits of the washer inside the the reel that looked like little bits of wet tissue paper.  Must be how these washers wear out...
reefmonsta

reelgood

CI4 models all come with felt.  I had a CI4 4000 before, the stock carbon washers from the Baitrunner 4000D were a direct fit.  They were Dartanium II, which is a carbon weave much like carbontex.

I asked Shimano why the reel rated for higher drag and more expensive comes with felt while the Baitrunner comes with carbon, they didn't have a logical answer for me.  The CI4 should be stronger externally according to Shimano's claim that the CI4 material is 40-60% stronger than their old graphite.  Of course we know the real reason for the use of the CI4, and for Daiwa's use of Zaion, rather than metal, is cost savings whatever else they may claim.

The Stradic FJ also has the felt washers.  I believe Bantam has explained on an other board that the spinners smaller than the 8000 size all have felt.  I myself have found it more than adequate on my CI4 and FJ's.

reefmonsta

Thanks for the feedback guys.  First time i've ever seen white washers let alone felt ones so it was a bit of a surprise.  Gonna hit the water this weekend so I guess we'll see how the new drags fare. 
reefmonsta

rx7240sx

my stradic fj 6000 came with carbon fiber drag washers

johndtuttle

Quote from: 0119 on April 30, 2012, 01:00:04 AM
The Stradic FJ also has the felt washers.  I believe Bantam has explained on an other board that the spinners smaller than the 8000 size all have felt.  I myself have found it more than adequate on my CI4 and FJ's.

yea, must be the smallest size StradicFJs as the 6-8000 use Carbon Fiber.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

spearo776

i have several RARENIUM CI4's that had felt washers, after a few good fish i too noticed the felt washers had deteriated severly. maybe not as much of a concern in the 3000 sized or smaller reels but i changed all my 4000 & 5000's to carbon with cal's grease. long term reliability and alot more drag pressure.

saltydog

Even in my el cheapo micro spinners I use for crappie I use carbon fiber now.Heck I use it in everything.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Westii

My 3000 has the felt washers and I haven't had any problems with them.  It has taken many quality redfish and trout and still is very smooth.  If/when that changes, I will go with carbontex, but why fix what isn't broken?

Rick

Reelgood, I agree on what you said about the new trend towards graphite being cheaper though many "internet experts" have tried to explain that the process of making it to form is actually more expensive.  I think the biggest reason for this trend is really to get their market share of customers.  The new generation of "men" cant hold and use a reel unless it weighs under 5 or 6 oz.  Bass fishermen especially.
Lots of old time reels with felt, leather or cork drag washers did fine catching huge fish long before carbon came along.  The main reason behind keeping smaller spinning reel drags lower in these sizes is for the sake of avoiding catastrophic failure.  Just about everyone is using braided line that tests WAY beyond its rating. With a strong drag these reels would torque themselves into a snapped stem.

basto

Quote from: reefmonsta on April 30, 2012, 08:51:22 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys.  First time i've ever seen white washers let alone felt ones so it was a bit of a surprise.  Gonna hit the water this weekend so I guess we'll see how the new drags fare. 
All of Shimano`s TLD series, lever drag and star drag reels had white canvas washers. I had the first Stradic and it had white felt washers.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

paal

On my shimanos, the white felt have worked nicely, even when abused. Very smooth under pressure.

Shimano's old Dartanium washer (the solid ones) get sticky fast however, so I replace those immediately.

With Okuma, I've had sticky white felt washers, even if they are "Japanese oiled felt washers" :)

Other people might have different experiences....

Tight lines!
Paal

basto

Shimano`s new Ultegra 14000XTC surf reel has 3 felt drag washers and has a max drag of 20kgs.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

MFB

I have 4000FJ & it came with the standard felt washers, I changed them to carbontex before it even got wet. It's also the smoothest reel I own.

Rgds 

Mark
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton