sealine-x 30 shv

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 05:23:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

I just got a Sealine 40 SHV that is bit different that the one on initial posts from AT

the right spool bearing retainer its not a metal flange its a plastic tripod (sic, kind of)
so the bearing instead of stay on the frame comes with the spool everytime I took the spool from the frame.
but thats not that bad, the really bad situation and where I need your help is that same bearing is stuck on the spool shaft

I have tried WD-40, inox, corrosion x, and small push with a flat screwdriver but no luck
the bearing its not toast already, it spins freely but I dont know how good it would be once casting 3-4oz
the thing is that I cannot take it out

any help?

it was pretty dirty, but not toasted

The Baja Guy

johndtuttle

I just noticed your post Steelfish and hoped you solved your trouble (its been nearly a year) :).

In such cases one way to go about it is with heat. If you take a soldering iron and heat the spool shaft, then rapidly cool it with a penetrating oil like Corrosion-X it can break up the rust that has it seized. Stainless to Stainless corrosion is notoriously strong and tough to deal with.

Also, take 2 screw drivers on either side of the bearing and use it to "rock" the bearing back and forth. This is very useful also when you can get 2 on a seized part.

buena suerte!

Let us know how it turned out.

steelfish

Quote from: johndtuttle on May 30, 2016, 06:09:22 PM
Also, take 2 screw drivers on either side of the bearing and use it to "rock" the bearing back and forth. This is very useful also when you can get 2 on a seized part.

I dont remember on which other thread I got the same advise from Bryan or maybe it was by PM but forgot to update this thread, that tip worked out pretty good, I was able to to get the bearing out but not without a good fight, I left some ugly marks on the spool from the screwdrivers tips but it worth it, it was so stuck there that after many minutes trying it was more like a persona thing against that bearing LOL, well I also did it like that because I found the reel pretty cheap on a fleamarket and the worst it could happened it was to get a new spool, which it wasnt necesary.

the scars of the battle

but finally I could put new bearing on the reel, this pic is with the new bearing already, I also lost the plastic thingy (bearing retainer), but read in few places that its not really needed.

th guts were in pretty good shape, SS showd no signs of corrosion at all, so I just serviced it "Alantani way", yamaha on metal and tsi 321 on bearings.

the reel is now spooled with 150yds 50# braid and filled to the brim with 30# mono and its one of my loaner reels, it cast like a dream, pretty much its like one of those old jigmaster with plenty of life to go.

The Baja Guy

ez2cdave

Tutorial in PDF Format for easy download . . .

Tight Lines !

Cor

I always drill and retap because the threads also break quickly.   I also replace the plastic handle nut retainer with a metal one.
Cornelis

ez2cdave

ez2cdave

Quote from: steelfish on July 04, 2015, 12:13:41 AM
I just got a Sealine 40 SHV that is bit different that the one on initial posts from AT

the right spool bearing retainer its not a metal flange its a plastic tripod (sic, kind of)
so the bearing instead of stay on the frame comes with the spool everytime I took the spool from the frame.
but thats not that bad, the really bad situation and where I need your help is that same bearing is stuck on the spool shaft

I have tried WD-40, inox, corrosion x, and small push with a flat screwdriver but no luck
the bearing its not toast already, it spins freely but I dont know how good it would be once casting 3-4oz
the thing is that I cannot take it out

any help?

Steelfish,

Here is the schematic for the X40SHV . . .

http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/daiwa-sl-x40shv-50shv/

http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/content/schematics/SL-X40SHV-50SHV.pdf

Tight Lines !

steelfish

thanks amigo

Im not longer have the reel, I gave it to a close friend that wanted to start fishing but didnt wanted to spend big money on shiny aluminum reels or heavy ones for local fishing, this was a spare of my regular spare reel and I always use two go-to reels  ;D  ::), so this never left the storage room after fixed until I gave it to this guy.
The Baja Guy

Darin Crofton

I have a 50hv I'm servicing and adding smooth drags cf washers, but didn't see how the spring attached to the dog and I'm stuck, wish I had a pic or two to show me what to do... I'll just keep fiddling with it and hopefully I'll figure her out...

UPDATE: I figured out the tricky spring, just needed to walk away and come back to it, smooth as butter now. I have one more just like it and working on it tomorrow
then they'll be going Kingfishing next week... SMOKAAAA
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?