113H bearing seal

Started by Spaff, May 05, 2012, 06:38:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spaff

Is there a trick to getting the shield out to get at the bearing. I've tried various screwdrivers. nails and staring at it endlessly? Understand that I am mechanically inept, semi-dyslexic and maybe suffering early stage Alzheimer's; really frustrated.

Irish Jigger

Are you trying to remove the ball bearing retaining ring from the ball bearing cup to get at the ball bearing or the ball bearing shield itself?

Spaff

The retaining ring from the cup.

Alto Mare

Get yourself these picks or something similar to them:

Place the hook-shaped pick just under the retaining ring and tilt towards you, it should pop right out.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Spaff

Thanks. All about getting leverage in the right place I guess. Time to visit a friend who works in a dental office.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Spaff on May 06, 2012, 05:15:03 PM
Thanks. All about getting leverage in the right place I guess.
Yes it is!
I'm going to recommend that purchase the 2-piece set that I'm showing, they're bulkier than dental picks, here is where I got them from:http://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece-o-ring-hook-scribe-set-42159.html
The shape of the hook will not domage the bearing when prying. Also, if you cut about 1/4" off the angled pick above and do a little filing with the dremel, you could use it to remove bearings that won't budge. It doesn't always work though, sometimes nothing will help.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Spaff

Thank you again sir, I will order them.