Reel Service though Alan Tani

Started by Bryan Young, May 11, 2012, 07:06:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slazmo

Quote from: Bryan Young on May 11, 2012, 07:06:59 AMNote, we do not service spinners unless they are of the Penn SS and Z series.  Thank you for your understanding.

Hi Bryan,

Any particular reason why you guys dont service spinning reels? I understand that fishing styles over there are vastly differing from over here in Aus.

Best,

Andrew

Bryan Young

Quote from: Slazmo on February 18, 2015, 11:39:28 PM
Quote from: Bryan Young on May 11, 2012, 07:06:59 AMNote, we do not service spinners unless they are of the Penn SS and Z series.  Thank you for your understanding.

Hi Bryan,

Any particular reason why you guys dont service spinning reels? I understand that fishing styles over there are vastly differing from over here in Aus.

Best,

Andrew

Actually, we do, so don't tell anyone.   ;) 

Spinning reels especially are plagued by model obsolesce making parts are very difficult to obtain or are very expensive.  Many times, the parts cost more than the reel is worth.  I just hate to be the bearer of bad news on a spinning cycle.

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

thorhammer

Hi Fred, sorry I forgot to circle back with you. I'm looking a main shaft for the 6050. I think everything else is good to go. If you don't have one, I will declare them extinct and am looking at drilling out a spare spool to accept an 650 SS shaft if i can get the rest of the machining with a file and dremel. not sure what I'd do about the clicker, i guess remove it but not sure if bail would trip properly until I tried it. Hope you are well!

John

Quote from: foakes on February 17, 2015, 11:11:33 PM
Hi John --

What Zebco parts do you need? Hi Fred

Let me know -- and I can take a look to see if I might have something that would help.

These are actually very high quality reels -- 80s or so.  All metal, ball bearing.  Very similar to Daiwa, Shimano, Ryobi, Cardinal -- don't let the name Zebco, fool you.

During WWII, the folks who founded Zebco made munitions for the war effort.

Hence, the name: ZEBCO (Zero Hour Bomb Company).

After the war, they started making fishing reels.

No one can name a more popular reel brand then Zebco!

Probably more Zebcos have been manufactured -- then all of the Penns, Mitchells, Quicks, Shakespeares, Daiwas, Shimanos -- combined.

Some cheap quality, some high quality, some in between, plastic, metal, aluminum, SS.

You would be surprised how many of the early edition Zebcos -- that sit in the rafters of many garages on cheap rods -- are worth some serious money.  (SHHHHHHHHH!).

Won't put the kids through college, or pay off the mortgage -- but certain Zebcos to the right buyer might pay for that 2-speed you have an eye on.

Best,

Fred

Hoverson

Hi folks, I'm new to this, but appreciate all the information.  I would like to send in my Okuma CV 20D to have Alan or his crew put a new drag set in.  How do I do this?  Thanks for any replies.  Hoverson

alantani

i have literally 200 reels in line right now.  a bunch of guys here would be able to service it. some are trying to get reel repair shops started!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

tmarksco

Hi Alan:

I have Shimano Calcutta 700S reel which needs service and repair. It's starting to squeak and bind, intermittently. Otherwise, its only been used a few times, and is in very good shape.

Can I send this to you? You've done work on other reels in the past, but it's been a while.

Let me know how to get it to you, as well as how and when to pay you.

Thanks Alan,

Tony Marks
(707) 696-7641
tony@themarkscompany.com
1602 Flanigan Way
Petaluma, CA 94954

alantani

shellback

hi
i assume you guys are nearby to me in templeton- so my question is can i drive over to cayucos and hand you my avet hx raptor?
i think i got a lemon.
thanks,
tom (shellback)

alantani

dad has a vacation house there.  i live up in saratoga. 

Ron Jones

The Cayucos house is for drinking! Reel repair in Saratoga.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

alantani

thorhammer

Quote from: alantani on April 29, 2019, 10:53:15 PM
True, that......

naw, false. you cant fly that one with pics of your Scotch collection ringing the linewinder home, Boss :)

CharterMaster

Hi I am not sure how to use the website I am a new member. I am looking to have two reels serviced and upgraded if possible. My first reel is Shimano Trinidad TN20 I am looking to upgrade with carbontex drags, a Cal's drag plate, and the mechanical dog and spring that Alan Tani helped develop and whatever else you can recommend for that reel. And my second reel is Avet LX 6/3 2 speed I am not sure if there are any upgrades for this reel if there is I would like to have this reel upgraded as well and if not I would just like it serviced then. Please let me know how to proceed and how much the cost would be. If you like you can call or text me

alantani

FishNinJay

Quote from: Bryan Young on May 11, 2012, 07:06:59 AM
Hi folks,

We have gotten many reel to service and often the reels come in boxes with no direction as to what needs or wants done to the reel.   Just so that if you are sending in a reel to us, we would like to know what you would like done, and how we can help if you have problem with the reel.  Therefore, I've put together a service/maintenance service for to be submitted with each reel.  You don't need to complete your name and address on every sheet, but please indicate what you would like done with each reel.  At least, this should help us to be on the same page as you are in terms of what you would like us to do.  Please download the form and complete it for each reel before sending it in to us.  Thank you.

If the reel is coming in for service, we will be greasing the sideplates and wiping off excess grease off.  Install greased carbon fiber drags if it doesn't have them already.  All spool bearings will be opened, cleaned with TSI301 (unless request informing us to pack spool bearings).  All non spool bearings will be packed with grease.  For lever drags, we will either shim the spool bearings and/or sleeve the spool bearings unless it already has a spool sleeve.  This is a minimum.  We  have had requests to do partal service on reels and we just don't feel comfortable with this, and therefore, collectively, between Alan, Jim, Jonathan, Roger, and myself, we will do a complete maintenance service on all reels sent in to us.  Bsides, we do this on 99% of the reels we get in.  Note, we do not service spinners unless they are of the Penn SS and Z series.  Thank you for your understanding.

Thank you for trusting us with your pride and joy.  We will continue to do our best to make your reels better than new.
Bryan

Hey Bryan,
Just "met" you on FB (Ye Jae)..
Can you and Alan just fix my reels so they catch mo' fish??