Reel Service though Alan Tani

Started by Bryan Young, May 11, 2012, 07:06:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

contact bryan via pm or email.  i'm pretty swamped, again........   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

ez2cdave

Quote from: Slazmo on February 18, 2015, 11:39:28 PM
Quote from: Bryan Young on May 11, 2012, 07:06:59 AMNote, we do not service spinners unless they are of the Penn SS and Z series.  Thank you for your understanding.

Hi Bryan,

Any particular reason why you guys don't service spinning reels? I understand that fishing styles over there are vastly differing from over here in Aus.

Best,

Andrew

Yes, it is 7 years later . . . !

Andrew,

I suspect that one of the main issues are Spinning Reels that disassemble into MORE THAN 100 parts, like the SHIMANO 6500B Baitrunner.

https://www.mikesreelrepair.com/content/schematics/Shimano_BTR6500B.pdf

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=994.0

Tight Lines !

Dave F.

Keepitsimple

Quote from: Bryan Young on May 11, 2012, 07:06:59 AM
Hi folks,

We have gotten many reel to service and often the reels come in boxes with no direction as to what needs or wants done to the reel.   Just so that if you are sending in a reel to us, we would like to know what you would like done, and how we can help if you have problem with the reel.  Therefore, I've put together a service/maintenance service for to be submitted with each reel.  You don't need to complete your name and address on every sheet, but please indicate what you would like done with each reel.  At least, this should help us to be on the same page as you are in terms of what you would like us to do.  Please download the form and complete it for each reel before sending it in to us.  Thank you.

If the reel is coming in for service, we will be greasing the sideplates and wiping off excess grease off.  Install greased carbon fiber drags if it doesn't have them already.  All spool bearings will be opened, cleaned with TSI301 (unless request informing us to pack spool bearings).  All non spool bearings will be packed with grease.  For lever drags, we will either shim the spool bearings and/or sleeve the spool bearings unless it already has a spool sleeve.  This is a minimum.  We  have had requests to do partal service on reels and we just don't feel comfortable with this, and therefore, collectively, between Alan, Jim, Jonathan, Roger, and myself, we will do a complete maintenance service on all reels sent in to us.  Bsides, we do this on 99% of the reels we get in.  Note, we do not service spinners unless they are of the Penn SS and Z series.  Thank you for your understanding.

Thank you for trusting us with your pride and joy.  We will continue to do our best to make your reels better than new.
Bryan

ez2cdave

Quote from: Slazmo on February 18, 2015, 11:39:28 PMAny particular reason why you guys don't service spinning reels?

Andrew

Probably spinning reels like the SHIMANO 6500B Baitrunner that break down into more than 100 parts . . .

Tight Lines !

Keepitsimple

Hi folks,

We have gotten many reel to service and often the reels come in boxes with no direction as to what needs or wants done to the reel.   Just so that if you are sending in a reel to us, we would like to know what you would like done, and how we can help if you have problem with the reel.  Therefore, I've put together a service/maintenance service for to be submitted with each reel.  You don't need to complete your name and address on every sheet, but please indicate what you would like done with each reel.  At least, this should help us to be on the same page as you are in terms of what you would like us to do.  Please download the form and complete it for each reel before sending it in to us.  Thank you.

If the reel is coming in for service, we will be greasing the sideplates and wiping off excess grease off.  Install greased carbon fiber drags if it doesn't have them already.  All spool bearings will be opened, cleaned with TSI301 (unless request informing us to pack spool bearings).  All non spool bearings will be packed with grease.  For lever drags, we will either shim the spool bearings and/or sleeve the spool bearings unless it already has a spool sleeve.  This is a minimum.  We  have had requests to do partal service on reels and we just don't feel comfortable with this, and therefore, collectively, between Alan, Jim, Jonathan, Roger, and myself, we will do a complete maintenance service on all reels sent in to us.  Bsides, we do this on 99% of the reels we get in.  Note, we do not service spinners unless they are of the Penn SS and Z series.  Thank you for your understanding.

Thank you for trusting us with your pride and joy.  We will continue to do our best to make your reels better than new.
Bryan

Keepitsimple

I am just getting into the long range game and interested in getting some reels serviced and possibly upgrades. Can you let me know best way to get repair form and how to send.

Dan
Jdough672@aol.com

alantani

sierraazuel

Hi folks,

Bryan

Bryan, where do you find service/maintenance request, I have a reel that I would like work done to?

Thank you,

Milo

alantani

bryan will probably have more time than me.  it's pretty awful right now. 

sierraazuel

Thank you Alan for your reply...

Milo

Bryan Young

Hi Milo, I'll send you another PM.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Scott1115

Hello!  I have three TLD 25's in good shape but are due for servicing. I would like to do the "hot rod" mods to increase the drag capacity and remove the slop in the reels.  Is there a service form to fill out and send with the reels?  How do I proceed?

Thanks,
Scott

alantani

sweeptheswamp

I have an Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 5000 with red caps.  The numbers on the foot are 99 0303.  I have replaced the bushings with ceramic bearings and upgraded the washers to carbon fiber.  I am considering changing the line guide to the newer titanium coated one.  I contacted Abu Garcia to see if they would cross reference the part number and they would not.  I contacted my local reel repair center and they would not also.  I have purchased one or more in the past and installed them but do not remember where I purchased them or the part number on the newer titanium line guide.  Can you help me?  Thanks, Tom       

SteveL

Quote from: sweeptheswamp on March 02, 2021, 10:42:48 PM
I have an Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 5000 with red caps.  The numbers on the foot are 99 0303.  I have replaced the bushings with ceramic bearings and upgraded the washers to carbon fiber.  I am considering changing the line guide to the newer titanium coated one.  I contacted Abu Garcia to see if they would cross reference the part number and they would not.  I contacted my local reel repair center and they would not also.  I have purchased one or more in the past and installed them but do not remember where I purchased them or the part number on the newer titanium line guide.  Can you help me?  Thanks, Tom      

The titanium line guide used on the 5500C3 (15 00) reel is the obsolete part # 23313.   It is replaced with part # 1239738 available from ereplacementparts.com for $29.93 or Daves' Parts and Service (fishingreelparts.com) for $25.80, or from Jerry Foran at Hookless.com for $23.50 (I think Jerry includes the nut in the price).    

For another $21, Jerry has the dual bearing levelwind kit.  

Dang those titanium line guides have gone up.  The last time I ordered a handfull, they were $12.50

Try ereplacementparts.com to locate Abu Garcia schematics and part numbers.  I almost never order from them, preferring either DadsOletackle.com, ebay or Dave's parts and service but that is the easiest way for me to find the part numbers I am looking for.