Reel Service though Alan Tani

Started by Bryan Young, May 11, 2012, 07:06:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

Hi folks,

We have gotten many reel to service and often the reels come in boxes with no direction as to what needs or wants done to the reel.   Just so that if you are sending in a reel to us, we would like to know what you would like done, and how we can help if you have problem with the reel.  Therefore, I've put together a service/maintenance service for to be submitted with each reel.  You don't need to complete your name and address on every sheet, but please indicate what you would like done with each reel.  At least, this should help us to be on the same page as you are in terms of what you would like us to do.  Please download the form and complete it for each reel before sending it in to us.  Thank you.

If the reel is coming in for service, we will be greasing the sideplates and wiping off excess grease off.  Install greased carbon fiber drags if it doesn't have them already.  All spool bearings will be opened, cleaned with TSI301 (unless request informing us to pack spool bearings).  All non spool bearings will be packed with grease.  For lever drags, we will either shim the spool bearings and/or sleeve the spool bearings unless it already has a spool sleeve.  This is a minimum.  We  have had requests to do partal service on reels and we just don't feel comfortable with this, and therefore, collectively, between Alan, Jim, Jonathan, Roger, and myself, we will do a complete maintenance service on all reels sent in to us.  Bsides, we do this on 99% of the reels we get in.  Note, we do not service spinners unless they are of the Penn SS and Z series.  Thank you for your understanding.

Thank you for trusting us with your pride and joy.  We will continue to do our best to make your reels better than new.
Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

akfish

The repair form is a great idea. However, looking at it, it almost looks like the same gear sleeve is used on the 113H, 49 and 149. That's not correct, of course. You might want to change it so that it is more clear.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Keta

Quote from: akfish on October 22, 2012, 10:57:32 AM
........ it almost looks like the same gear sleeve is used on the 113H, 49 and 149. That's not correct, of course.

Are they different lengths or is the anti reverse gear different?  I've been putting SS 113H gear sleeves in 349s and they work well despite the smaller "gear".
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

akfish

You can use a 113H gear sleeve on a 349, but the 49 and 149 both take the same sleeve as a Jigmaster.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Keta

I should try to get a 49 for referance....or a teaser reel.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

akfish

I've got several rebuilt 49s for sale in the shop for $60 ...
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Brendan

I glad its not just me that hates working on spinners.
tight lines, Brendan.

Ricky-Ray

Tried to download the form and say's attachment not found.
Ray

"If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. The dreams will come to you."

- Randy Paush, Carnegie Mellon University

thorhammer

Hi folks, brand new to the site....fell into it by accident and then read for two hours straight...First, glad I'm not the only fool trying to collect every really good reel on the planet, then trying to hot rod it when I cant possibly even fish all I already have. Some really good mods on here I'd never heard of. Second, not sure how the reel repair works; do Brian, Alan and others collude or run a shop or what? I have a box of fleabay stuff i need to address....i refurbish  / build rods and cant stand orphans so i gotta get these motors up and running.

One such is a Zebco 6050 that needs some parts...anyone know where that might be found? Not a high end reel but all metal; my pops gave it to me about 1980 and I'd like to resurrect.

thanks folks!

john 

Bryan Young

Hi John,

Welcome.  Glad you found us and find the site entertaining.

Alan and his team, which includes me, repairs reels, as do I as a part of our hobby.  Reels are sent in to us, we repair the reels if economically feasible, and return the reels with a bill for parts, labor, and return postage.  Upon receipt of the reels, the owner of the reels, in turn, sends us a check for the work performed.  We work on the honor system.  If you are interested in sending you reels in to us, please PM Alan or myself.

Others here run a business, and we support each other as there are a whole lot of reels out there, but not as many repairing them these days.  We are the ones that go against the throw-away mentality, if at all possible.

Zebco parts are hard to come by.  I'm not sure who here can help.  I have problems even getting new reels from Zebco, and parts has been even harder.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

yeah, i work on most of the reel, joey fortina has been helping out but only when i'm there to kibbutz, bryan works independently, and jim nomura works independently.  it's unusual to get seriously stumped.  mostly it's ordering parts that causes the biggest delay. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

foakes

Hi John --

What Zebco parts do you need?

Let me know -- and I can take a look to see if I might have something that would help.

These are actually very high quality reels -- 80s or so.  All metal, ball bearing.  Very similar to Daiwa, Shimano, Ryobi, Cardinal -- don't let the name Zebco, fool you.

During WWII, the folks who founded Zebco made munitions for the war effort.

Hence, the name: ZEBCO (Zero Hour Bomb Company).

After the war, they started making fishing reels.

No one can name a more popular reel brand then Zebco!

Probably more Zebcos have been manufactured -- then all of the Penns, Mitchells, Quicks, Shakespeares, Daiwas, Shimanos -- combined.

Some cheap quality, some high quality, some in between, plastic, metal, aluminum, SS.

You would be surprised how many of the early edition Zebcos -- that sit in the rafters of many garages on cheap rods -- are worth some serious money.  (SHHHHHHHHH!).

Won't put the kids through college, or pay off the mortgage -- but certain Zebcos to the right buyer might pay for that 2-speed you have an eye on.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bryan Young

Fred to the rescue. 

I have nothing bad to say about Zebco's products.  I do have a little problem getting responses or parts...

CoastalFishfinder

Greetings Bryan,
                     My name is Frank a/k/a CoastalFishfinder.First I want to thank Alan Tani for his invitation to join the Forum.You folks have put together a fantastic platform for novices to master mechanics the posts are extremely helpful and informative.At this point I hope I'm not hijacking any ones thread,I tried to post a "New Topic" earlier but I don't think it went through.I had emailed Alan Tani a few weeks ago with a question about a vintage reel with no name or logo on it that a friend of mine found and passed it along to me.Alan told me what to do to get started on the research and join the Forum , while going through the posts I found it is an Anon Shaw.
Once again,Bryan, I apologize if I'm in the wrong place but if you can please get back to me so we can discuss some of my ideas for this reel.
                                                                                                                   Thanks,
                                                                                                                     Frank

Bryan Young

Hi Frank,

Welcome.  I have sent you a PM with my phone number and let's see how we can help you with your reel.

Thank you and welcome.
Bryan