Okuma Raw-II 80 loose bail

Started by Inspiro, May 11, 2012, 11:42:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inspiro

Hi All
I had an issue with my new reel that I hope you can help me with, and please forgive the weak description as I know nothing about reel repair and maintenenance
I just purchased an Okuma Raw-II size 80, put 300yds of tuf line indicator 65lb line on it, paired it with a Van-Staal 325 gm rod that I used for jigging on a recent trip
Nothing big was hooked on that trip, just a 12 lb dog tooth tuna, the reel was smooth, solid and the drag was very nice(15-20lb of drag at full spool).

Later I started feeling the bail getting alittle loose, I visually checked to find one of the bolts holding the bail becoming loose, the other one was invisible to me, so I tightened the loose bolt and continued fishing again, a few drops, the bail became loose again, the bolt I tightened was still tight so it must have been the bolt on the other side
This time I had to remove the small plastic cover to get access to the other bolt.

In the process I messed up this cover as well as a small transparent plastic washer, I'll post part numbers as soon as I find the schematic

Any How:

Can someone guide me to an online shop from where I can get Okuma Raw-II parts?
What do you think caused this problem to happen?
What would you recommend I do to any new spinning reel before taking it for fishing, this problem wasted me valuable time in my trip especially cause I wasn't prepared with a spare reel ?

Thanks in advance
Inspiro

alantani

you are in egypt, aren't you!  if you cannot get parts, let me know and i will get them for you and ship them to you.  i have a pair of okuma cedros reels and they are very nice.  the raw spinners are supposed to be even better.  but a loose screw is not good.  there is not supposed to be anything to do to prevent this ahead of time, because this is not supposed to happen.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Inspiro

Dear Alan. thanks for your support, really appreciate it,
I just left the reel to the tackle shop, will see what they can do with the dealer
"this is not supposed to happen" is sexactly what made me ask,
once bolts are torqued well they are not suppposed to get loose this way should I put alittle loctite or something on the screws to avoid them getting loose, I know this is not the best thing, but I had a very bad experience because of that illogic failure.

Thanks again

Gotfish

I had the exact same issue on my first day of fishing with a brand new reel. The bail became loose and didn't "click"  in place. For me it was the hidden bolt that was unscrewed. Since I was in northern Norway at the time there was neither time nor possibility to leave it to a professional. After tightening the bolt it still would not click in place so my only option was to open up the part where the spring for this is located. I thought I got
all pieces in place but it still wont work. Also I cant figure out how the mechanism works. I guess I just have to wait for a detailed description is posted for this reel by someone who knows what he is doing.

johndtuttle

Quote from: Gotfish on July 30, 2014, 08:39:03 PM
I had the exact same issue on my first day of fishing with a brand new reel. The bail became loose and didn't "click"  in place. For me it was the hidden bolt that was unscrewed. Since I was in northern Norway at the time there was neither time nor possibility to leave it to a professional. After tightening the bolt it still would not click in place so my only option was to open up the part where the spring for this is located. I thought I got
all pieces in place but it still wont work. Also I cant figure out how the mechanism works. I guess I just have to wait for a detailed description is posted for this reel by someone who knows what he is doing.

Hey got fish. The Bail Spring mechanism is a tricky one as no schematic shows you the proper way to do it. Take a look at my Penn Conflict 400 tutorial on this site for a look at the standard plan and how to do it.

Bear in mind there may be a tiny clicker and spring hidden in there that will drop out if you are unlucky. Finding those in the carpet is not fun.

Anyways, I am sure nothing you can't handle. Just patience and you'll get it together. It's semi blind to you as you try and close but with a few attempts I'm sure you'll get it.

Gotfish

Thanks Johndtuttle, I missed your Tutorial, just what I was looking for. I'll try it first thing tomorrow.

Gotfish

Well first thing tomorrow never happened but finally I got around to fix the reel. I got it working with the help of your tutorial. Thanks again. However In order to get one of the screws tight enough I needed I to remove one part, its like a washer but "higher" to keep the correct distance. I realize this is not good but it appears to work and I will give it a try this summer, if it doesn't work it goes in the trash.

johndtuttle

Quote from: Gotfish on January 06, 2015, 02:45:51 PM
Well first thing tomorrow never happened but finally I got around to fix the reel. I got it working with the help of your tutorial. Thanks again. However In order to get one of the screws tight enough I needed I to remove one part, its like a washer but "higher" to keep the correct distance. I realize this is not good but it appears to work and I will give it a try this summer, if it doesn't work it goes in the trash.

Yea, typically you want to put those back! :)

Commonly screws in this area are not put back tightly but are held secure by a drop of blue loctite. Let us know how you get on :).