titus gold 15 II

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 05:24:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WalterWyman and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

alantani

can you send it out and let me take a look?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

spes

I'd LOVE to!

PM the address please.
I am going away this week to see my son's graduation from Army reserve boot camp.
If I can't get it boxed up and out tomorrow, I'll send it next week.

I purposely bought the Makaira so when I take my nephew on a two day trip in July he could use the TG15,,,,  He didn't like the Avet 6.0 last year. It would be nice to get the TG working for him.

Thanks a bunch,
Mike

alantani

here's the repair post.  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=277.0 send it out anytime.  i spoke to jim nomura and he's agreed to take a look. i hope that's ok.  jim has all of the okuma drag washers and a larger inventory of okuma parts.   i'm pretty badly stacked up and jim can look at it right away.  alan

cfarmd

alan,

any idea on what the expected drag rating is for the titus 50W single speed? I can't seem to find the specs and I want to check what I am getting on my 2 reels. Thanks,

chris

steve47

Is the 15 II tutorial a good guide for the titus gold TG 50W II?

alantani

it is pretty close and should get you through ok.

mimyanun

Hello sir,juz wonder if this tg1511 tutorial can be use as a guide for tg1011?
How bout  drag rating for tg1011?Max drag at Full/Strike is Same or less then tg1511?,its weight bout 26.8 oz,

Thank you much appreciate....

alantani

not sure.  it's a smaller version all the way around. 

mimyanun

ThereĀ  're little tiny screw on spool rubber gasket,is it normal or left thread?

alantani

the screws in the reel frame and on the inside are all right handed. 

amoebasurgeon

On the right side bearing, you removed the shield, packed it with grease and installed it open. What are the benefits of doing this? What is the name of this bearing?

Dockside

I still have one of these in the garage.

It worked great as a Albacore 2 speed back in the day.  The downside was the crazy loud anti reverse.  They corrected that to a silent anti reverse.  When they did that, my free spool went away-like a bad rebuild, or 0.5 second spin.

The spool shaft was also light, and the reels had a bad rap back then.

I still have fond memories of a cheap small 2 speed that worked well with about 15# of drag. 

fishmeluck

Contractors have taken over my house, re-finishing hardwood floors. I'm living in a 6 x 8 ft corner of my kitchen with my desk and computer, will have to peel plastic off the sofa to sleep tonight, and my wife is sleeping in her office in the backyard. The TV is covered in plastic too. So, I thought I would kill some time by adding a little to Alan's rebuild thread using pics from the rebuild of my own TG15 II which I did a few days before my last fishing trip.

One thing I noticed right away was, my end plates were held down by hex head cap screws, not Phillips. I figured that might help date the manufacture of my reel, except I have no idea how to do that. All throughout the assembly there were signs of grease here and there. Daiwa must have used some, because I'm sure this was the first time I serviced this reel and it was not my grease.

Second, my clicker assembly looked different, too:

When I take things apart, I like to lay them out in straight lines.

That black part has the teeth for the clicker assembly. Again, it was different than the reel Alan serviced.

You are looking at a stiff drag washer in the end of that spool. It had a flimsy black denim-like washer underneath it. There was some evidence of grease under both pieces, but the side you are looking at (which contacts the drag pressure plate) was dry. I greased it with Cal's Drag Grease the Tani-way and put it back.

See the tiny screw inside the big black ring (below). It took me a long time during dis-assembly to figure out how to remove the black ring from the spool and remove all the parts trapped underneath it, including the drag pressure plate/anti-reverse gear piece thingy (far left) and the spool shaft assembly. Finally, I noticed the little screw in a tiny slot in the black ring, took the screw out, and then was able to unscrew the black ring. Am I the only one who thinks that it is sometimes easier to open a Chinese puzzle box than a fishing reel?

See the white plastic ring. I despise it. It took me oh, maybe an hour or more of trying to put the right side plate back on, again and again, during re-assembly before I could get the two little tangs on that part to mesh properly with the anti-reverse dogs. And, I only knew it was necessary because of reading Alan's full tutorial. You still suck, stupid white ring, even though I knew all about you!

After re-assembling this reel, the drag felt very smooth, but free-spool was still not very good. I did a lot more to the reel than pictured here, used some Corrosion-X on all the bearings, but it felt like I got some heavy grease somewhere I shouldn't have during reassembly. Oh well, next time ...  The reel got me a nice bluefin tuna and the jackpot two days after the re-build.
Give a man a fish and he will have fish for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Pierce

Hi Alan,
Where is the images of this reel being service? I cannot view them. Need to service my Titus Gold 30II. Thanks.