ABU 6500 C3 2-speed for Musky fishing

Started by WNL, May 17, 2012, 12:49:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WNL

Hello Everyone,

I recently found this site and several others when trying to decide if i want to use my 6500 c3  2speed (010102) for musky fishing on Lake of the Woods.
Just learning to musky fish last year.

At a  local farm auction last year, I bought the 2spd reel new and complete in the box along with a new 6500 C3 (990907).
I used the C3 last season about 20 days. Spooled with 80# braid and throwing mostly smaller bucktails and topwaters without any problems.

I would like to set up another XH rod with the 2spd to throw double 10 bucktails and heavier rubber in the fall. Again with 80# braid.

Considering how much and how I would like to use it, would it be best to crank it down to winch 3.8 setting and leave it there to minimize wear and tear?.......or am I asking for trouble and likely trash the reel?
I am not a collector but do enjoy USING this classic gear.

Thanks very much for your reply.

Wayne in Winnipeg

Ken_D

Hi....the round "transmission" setting , when tightened, keeps the reel in top gear longer,
so if you want winch longer, you should loosen the setting.  It's automatic, so the reel will shift on its own, at a factory pressure point, regardless of how snug you make the wheel.   

The factory drag washers fail early, so it's a good idea to replace all 4. Do not lose that tiny little chrome button you see in the driveshaft, when it comes time to split the drive to get to the inner set of washers.

WNL

Ken_D I appreciate your reply,

Thanks for the heads up on the button #20715.
I have a set of carbontex for the other c3 that i plan to change for this season. With that under my belt, I would be inclined to tackle the drags on the two speed.
As for the "transmission" setting, I now realize that fully backing off counter clock wise would keep the gearing in 3.8"at all times" as per the manual.

Do you think keeping the gearing in 3.8 fulltime would be less "stressful" to the reel than setting it to high ratio? I would expect so with no 'downshifting" involved.

Ken_D

Hi....from the 2 speeds I'ver dealt with, the only gear that really takes a whupping is the small main pinion gear. The sideset, and the two mains seem to live much longer than the pinion gear.

A reminder also not to lose the small coil spring on top of the sideset gears...it wants to be glued with grease to the inside of the side plate, to be dislodged in a mysterious loctaion never to be seen again. So remove the sdeplate slowly, and vertically, then check the sideset, and if not there, carefully look inside the sideplate.

macka17

Quote from: Ken_D on May 19, 2012, 03:58:39 PM
Hi....from the 2 speeds I'ver dealt with, the only gear that really takes a whupping is the small main pinion gear. The sideset, and the two mains seem to live much longer than the pinion gear.

A reminder also not to lose the small coil spring on top of the sideset gears...it wants to be glued with grease to the inside of the side plate, to be dislodged in a mysterious loctaion never to be seen again. So remove the sdeplate slowly, and vertically, then check the sideset, and if not there, carefully look inside the sideplate.

Hi.
Regarding the pinion gear.
I have 2 6500 c3's There is a bloke (several) in UK. That machine them out of stainless.
I had 2 posted to me a few yrs ago for ten quid. (Around $16 AUD.)
Look on internet. or let me know and I'll chase it up
To me though they only a 12\15 lb reel.
7000 is a 15\20lb and I used the red 9000 (2 spd) for spinning with 20lb
Wish I still had my 9000's now.

Found it
.. Wayne Tuddenham.  www.waynetuddenham...at...fsmail.net
Gt Yarmouth UK

Don't know if he still does. But there are\were others. 10. 50p GBP

Ken_D

Kewl. I'll send a note and see if he does pinions for the 2-speed. According to the p/n, it is the same configuration as the high speed one in typical 56/6600 C3's/C4's. So I hope he does the high speed ones.
Thanks, KD.