abu garcia revo stx custom paint and rebuild

Started by Biggameaddict, May 17, 2012, 05:47:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggameaddict

Hey there guys, this is my first rebuild post online. so to sum it up, i bought this revo stx on ebay for 60$ that had stripped paint but was missing a couple of parts. So i thought why not it would be a cool project and i did this. Sorry the painting was suppost to be in the pics but my phone broke and i lost my cameras charger. I know you guys like pics so its pic heavy. I cant seem to find some pics so i hope its not kind of dull.
Putting the reel back together to see whats missing.

all back together (rebuild at end)

missing the mag dial.

and the handle nut cap

the parts with stripped paint

i know, i know, i lost alot of the pics of me painting too so ill start off here cleaning the bearings with zippo

these things were dirty

ready for steam clean

my favorite tool 8) steam clean

clean bearing

bearing tester

spins like crazy

sheilds and retainers, gotta put some of these back on

cleaning some other parts in zippo

DIRTY!!!!!!

how i kept the drag stack stored safe

drag assembly

i start off by scrubbing some grease on the frame and sideplates

frespool and enaging mechanism? clutch mechanism? i guess thats how youll call it.

it was a late nite and i was tired heres the thing completed

first its this large copper washer

then the plastic gear for the levelwind

then that metal peice that mounts the shaft to the frame, a little copper washer, and a e clip.

the bearing for the shaft goes in here

now the levelwind assembly. wormgear.

first the bearing

then a washer on the right side of the wormgear with a hole in it

then the plastic gear (one side of the gear has spaces cut into it for the pin this spot faces the hole)

and the little pin that holds the gear in place

now you done with this side slide it in its place with the worm gear sheild and line guide assembly.
this little washer goes in the cap for the line guide

then the pawl goes inside the line guide

now add a drop of lube in there

the worm gear sheild has a cut peice that goes on the side opposite the main gear

now slide on the sheild with the levelwind assembly on it

followed by the worm gear and bearing

then the plastic thing that holds everything in place

then the little copper washer

followed by the e-clip (this one has a tendency to fly, just press it in with a pair of needle nose pliers)

all done with the levelwind now

we can now put together the shaft and the drag system and everything else :)

put on the shaft and secure it with the two screws. (you have to loosen the top screw for the clutch mechanism to slide the shaft on)

then the clutch

put a little grease on that

then the hard graphite washer

now the brass main gear

put a little grease on that, (i useb blue grease because i didnt have cals i still have to order some)

i like to put on my pinion gear assembly now so first the yoke

then the pinion gear

the revo stx has stock carbon fiber drags so first a soft carbon washer

then the hard metal washer

another soft carbon washer

now the eared metal washer

another soft carbon washer

and finally this convex washer. concave side should be facing up

now apply a little grease to the gears

now to finish up the levelwind assembly slide this shaft in that the pinion gear slides on

and screw on the cap

now the spool shaft, if you will has an e clip attached put that inside the pinion gear and add a small drop of lube or tsi301 if you have any

and the pinion gear springs go back on

you guys might not go this far but these plate are what the thumb bar rides on to put the reel in freespool, it is different for each side so you cant get this wrong

there they are

now the thumb bar, the yellowish plastic thing slides into the thumb bar secured by a screw on top

now scrub some grease on the right side plate

now put on the sideplate and secure all the screws

put the bearing in its place and add a drop of lube then put on the retainer

the clicking star drag

put some grease in that and put the metal thing back in

now put the belevilles in a () configuration on the shaft on top of the clicker

now put on the star with a little grease inside

screw that on

screw it down all the way

i didnt order the handle nut cap cause i want to order a new handle but put on the handle (there should be a rectangular washer under the handle), then nut, then the nut cap

this black thing fits inside the cast control knob and secures with a pin

see the tiny hole in the knob?

now spool,spool bearing, and pin

put on the bearing

add a drop of lube or tsi 301 if you have any

i already did the left side plate but its fairly easy.

add a drop of lube or tsi 301

Signature Alan Tani Shot

now glamour shots

now some notes: i know this rebuild is not as god as other, im missing alot of shots and the painting process but i got over 100 photos in here and can you guys tell me what i should add to my next post in pics or detail, that would be nice of you. im really tired so please dont mind the typos and sorry for the blurry cell phone pics lost the cameras charger. stay well and tight lines.

redsetta

Nice work Bga - the matte finish has come out a treat.
Cheers for sharing, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Alto Mare

Biggammeaddict, I'm not really a fan of those reels but was impressed with your detailed tutorial. Very nice job, keep them coming. I also want to thank you for making me late for work, wow, I counted 114 pictures ;D. I believe that you'll get a well deserved  wrench from Alan. Thanks for sharing. Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Nessie Hunter

Great job, well done...  ;D

I responded (quite long) to this on another forum, so wont bore you here!!! LOL  :-)

Good job, keep up the good work....
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Biggameaddict

Quote from: redsetta on May 17, 2012, 06:26:27 AM
Nice work Bga - the matte finish has come out a treat.
Cheers for sharing, Justin

Thanks bro it really does look nice up close. Glad you liked it.

Biggameaddict

Quote from: Alto Mare on May 17, 2012, 11:01:12 AM
Biggammeaddict, I'm not really a fan of those reels but was impressed with your detailed tutorial. Very nice job, keep them coming. I also want to thank you for making me late for work, wow, I counted 114 pictures ;D. I believe that you'll get a well deserved  wrench from Alan. Thanks for sharing. Sal

You welcome lol i have to start taking less pics, i had to take 14 pics off to post this in another forum lmaoo. Thatll be cool if alan sends a wrench hes a nice guy he always helps people without a benefit a good example of a good person.

alantani

send me a pm with your address. yeah, score one wrench!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

MoovinTarget

Great work and just in time.  I recently purchased a REVO STX.  I was looking for a heavy duty drag to pull bass out of lilly pads and big grass beds. 

I have become a big fan of BOCA Orange Seal ABEC 7 ceramic bearings and want to tune this reel.  I have upgraded many Shimanos and Penns.  This reel looks a bit more complicated with a large part number count.  This reel also does not provide easy access to the spool bearings like the Shimanos. 

I once spent 10 hours fighting a hair thin brass washer in a Shimano Curado 200BSF unitil I figured out where it went.  It is amazing how a part so tiny can make a difference in the function of reel.

I often view YouTube videos of disassembly when available.  I found none for this reel.  I sure wish the schematics provided for modern day reels were created with modern drawing or art tools to make them useful.  A video on the manufacturers website would be helpful. 

Your work here really helps those of us that work very long hours and endless days with little time to tend to our hobbies and the maintenance of our tools and toys.  Your effort and time are really appreciated.  Thank you.

Thanks again.

Biggameaddict

Quote from: MoovinTarget on July 03, 2012, 01:22:00 PM
Great work and just in time.  I recently purchased a REVO STX.  I was looking for a heavy duty drag to pull bass out of lilly pads and big grass beds. 

I have become a big fan of BOCA Orange Seal ABEC 7 ceramic bearings and want to tune this reel.  I have upgraded many Shimanos and Penns.  This reel looks a bit more complicated with a large part number count.  This reel also does not provide easy access to the spool bearings like the Shimanos. 

I once spent 10 hours fighting a hair thin brass washer in a Shimano Curado 200BSF unitil I figured out where it went.  It is amazing how a part so tiny can make a difference in the function of reel.

I often view YouTube videos of disassembly when available.  I found none for this reel.  I sure wish the schematics provided for modern day reels were created with modern drawing or art tools to make them useful.  A video on the manufacturers website would be helpful. 

Your work here really helps those of us that work very long hours and endless days with little time to tend to our hobbies and the maintenance of our tools and toys.  Your effort and time are really appreciated.  Thank you.

Thanks again.
This quote made my day. Thanks to you actually for the kind words, im glad i could help someone do a rebuild. And this reel is not as complicated as you think, it just looks that way because i got to every specific detail of the reel and i took pictures of all the work i did too so it just look long. This reel is a beast for drag but if i were you, i would return the reel because the new revo line is coming out soon and the new stx has c6 carbon sideplates like the revo mgx has. And the shimming is incredible, they even make shims that are 1/10,000 of an inch thick and it could play big roles on the drag. Good luck on the rebuild, pm me if you get stuck.

MoovinTarget

I would like to get my hands on more Curado 200e7's.

Biggameaddict

Quote from: MoovinTarget on July 04, 2012, 07:06:45 PM
I would like to get my hands on more Curado 200e7's.
Check bdoutdoors.com in the members classified section uncer rods and reels. their usally around for 100$ brand new you should find something.

Brewer

I'm involved in a STX tear down and have ran into a stubborn spool that does not want to pop out. The spool will move about a 1/8 inch and stop. There is line on the spool but does not seem to be the issue.  :'(   Any suggestion?

The 2 Toros I did the spools easily feel out.

"stay thirsty my friends"

johndtuttle

Quote from: Brewer on November 19, 2013, 08:06:28 PM
I'm involved in a STX tear down and have ran into a stubborn spool that does not want to pop out. The spool will move about a 1/8 inch and stop. There is line on the spool but does not seem to be the issue.  :'(   Any suggestion?

The 2 Toros I did the spools easily feel out.

This is a very old post but if you check back in let us know how it turned out.

I hate a mystery  :D

It's got to be something inside the right side plate causing the spool to hang up on the pinion. Did you remove it and find your problem?