TLD15 - can't remove cooling shield

Started by Whiteman, July 20, 2009, 02:19:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whiteman

(Alan - I sent you a PM on this but just found this "open forum" to post the same question)

I am breaking down my 4yo TLD15 as per Alan's instructions. Get to the bit about removing the cooling shield and it won't budge, even with the tool. Took it to the shop where it was purchased and the guy there had a go (not the guy who does reel services as he wasn't there) and he couldn't budge it. A few of the big strong guys in the office have just had a go and are feeling weak as they couldn't turn it. And yes, we are following the "unscrew arrow".

Any ideas on how to get this shield released?

alantani

yeah, been there......

first try, put the cooling shield (spool cap) in a big vise and use a strap wrench to turn the spool.  chances are this will not work.

second try.  drill two holes in the cooling shield, one at the 12 o'clock position and one at the 6 o'clock position.   match these holes up to a spanner wrench that you either have or make (two nails sticking in a piece of wood, in a pinch) and use the spanner wrench to twist off the shield.  if you still have trouble, you can drill three or four holes in the shield and make a spanner wrench to match.  um, you should probably order up a new cooling shield from shimano before doing this. 

please let us know.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Whiteman

Thanks Alan. "Try #1" worked a treat - I had to buy a strap wrench on the weekend to fix some plumbing - crikey this is a handy thing to have in the toolshed! Reel is now back together and feels great. Did not change the drag washer - just a light grease as per instructions.

One more Tld 15 and a 20 to go.

alantani

oops.  white canvas drag washers have to stay dry..........

Whiteman

double oops ... does that mean I should get it out and replace it ??

alantani

yeah, otherwise it will stick like crazy!  get a penn ht-100 #6-25, an avet jx/lx drag washer, or a carbontex drag washer to replace the canvas tld 15 washer.  you'll be very happy with the results.  alan

Whiteman

Thanks. I have found the Australian distributor of the carbonex washers and he's not too far from me in Cairns (Australia that is). For any Aussies who stumble on this, go to this site ... http://jackerskine.com/index.html

Whiteman

Alan, I have serviced 2 TLD15s. One of them has a "stiff" handle action when the drag is tightened, the other is perfect. Any clues as to what I may have done wrong?

alantani

first guess, the right main side plate bearing..........

Whiteman

1st guess spot on Alan. I was sure this bearing was OK when I put the TLD15 back together but when I broke it down to check the bearing was jammed solid. Washed it out with kero and gave it a WD40 to see if that would free it up as no sign of corrosion. After a bit of fiddling the bearing came good and now runs perfectly. However, I have ordered a replacement as something made it jam so likely to happen again when I have a trophy fished hooked on.

Thanks again mate!

septicsac

Quote from: Whiteman on July 31, 2009, 08:14:01 AM
Alan, I have serviced 2 TLD15s. One of them has a "stiff" handle action when the drag is tightened, the other is perfect. Any clues as to what I may have done wrong?
My 2 problems in the one post :'(
I too cannot remove the cooling shields from 2 tld 15's so I will try the trick described above.......Cheers
My 2nd problem is with the drag on an Avet mx. When I tighten/increase the drag the spool gets harder to turn. The funny part is it was woring fine before I took it apart to service it. I have disassembled it again and everything looks in correct place so guess I got to take it apart againg and recheck the bearings............Any idea which one would be giving the trouble in the Avet mx Alan ??
Ps ..just joined and what a site,plenty of reading to keep me going here for quite a while, it is a credit to you ;)

alantani

right main side plate bearing.  happens every time!  alan

septicsac

Quote from: alantani on January 12, 2010, 03:09:18 AM
right main side plate bearing.  happens every time!  alan
Spoke to mate last night who had similar problem last year and his problem was very same bearing :'(. Was fine before service so will take it out and clean the bearing up to get me by till new one arrives. Bit disappointed as the reel is less than a year old and has not had a whole lot of use.
Got one cooling shield open on the tld using a plastic clamp but yet to tackle the other.

septicsac

Pulled bearing out and as Ireland uses metric and not imperial it looks like I will have to locate bearing in the good old US of A. Bearing giving trouble has ref number SR 4RS, would this be the normal culprit in this situation Alan ? The bearing in question was covered in gunge and would only move approx 4-5 mm right and left but would not complete a full circular turn.
Now to look for a bearing source or an email contact for avet ???

alantani

the bearing is metric!  i would think that it would not pose a problem.  i never did measure those, and should.  if you can get the measurements to me, i can mail one.  so could bocabearings.com, or dawn at smoothdrag.com, but they should be available locally.