alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial 113h/114h senator - short version
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
April 12, 2021, 09:55:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 113h/114h senator - short version  (Read 244780 times)
SeaDragon and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
spize

« Reply #300 on: September 14, 2017, 09:34:13 PM »

Nope. New half frame schematic. As this reel was basically a gift (payment for a favor sort of) and has a Tiburon frame on it, I can only assume what it is with my limited knowledge. What I do know is that it does not have the big hole or the cover washer for the accessible drags. It seems to have all the innards of my 4/0 that I already had. I am going to pull that one apart tonight and have a look at it. I don't remember how it all goes but I know that one is right at least.
Where do you get that little custom dog spring from?

* Penn schem.PNG (156.41 KB, 1240x712 - viewed 445 times.)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 09:37:51 PM by spize » Logged
Bryan Young
Ultimate Upgrades Drags
Administrator

The Reel Whisperer

« Reply #301 on: September 14, 2017, 10:57:28 PM »

Hmm, the only thin you get is more height in the stacks o your star doesn't bottom out.

Cheesy I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. Cheesy
spize

« Reply #302 on: September 15, 2017, 02:30:10 AM »

looking at my 4/0, there is one belleville under the star and I am guessing two () under the spacer.
spize

« Reply #303 on: September 16, 2017, 02:01:03 PM »

So never having a reel with a Tiburon frame......what I thought was some kind of pin at the top of the frame was actually a broken screw. I had wondered why there was such a short screw in the mix when I took it apart but left that to figure out later. It didn't break coming apart so whoever worked on this reel previously for my friend must have got it to stick in there with a dab of silicone or something.
So now I have a brass screw buried into that aluminum frame. Being the top screw it would seem to be absolutely essential to the integrity of the reel.
It is now flush to the frame as my attempts at grabbing onto it just resulted in destruction so I filed it down smooth. I'm thinking I need to drill it out with a reverse bit and hope for the best. I can always re-tap it for a slightly larger screw I guess.
You can see that broken screw in the pic I posted......pretty obvious to me now that it's a screw  Roll Eyes

I did get it all back together with the washers as stated above and it worked well. Great drag and great freespool.

* 40 drags.jpg (1197.03 KB, 2232x2232 - viewed 326 times.)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 02:06:14 PM by spize » Logged
JRD

« Reply #304 on: September 16, 2017, 04:41:39 PM »

Spize based on the stainless plate your clamp studs mount into I'm thinking that's a Penn frame, not Tiburon or Accurate.  Hard to tell since I only see that small corner of frame.  I've recently had luck with the freezing / heating and PB blaster method.  Grind a small slot in the remainder of screw, careful not to do too much cutting on the frame.  The hot and cold cycles get a little movement in the materials and the PB works it's way in there.  Finally spray it again, put in a little heat to the frame and try to turn the screw out.  I wore down the cutting wheel on my Drexel so it was a smaller diameter and wouldn't cut into the surrounding metal as much.  Good luck with it.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 04:42:26 PM by JRD » Logged
spize

« Reply #305 on: September 16, 2017, 05:20:02 PM »

Spize based on the stainless plate your clamp studs mount into I'm thinking that's a Penn frame, not Tiburon or Accurate.  Hard to tell since I only see that small corner of frame.  I've recently had luck with the freezing / heating and PB blaster method.  Grind a small slot in the remainder of screw, careful not to do too much cutting on the frame.  The hot and cold cycles get a little movement in the materials and the PB works it's way in there.  Finally spray it again, put in a little heat to the frame and try to turn the screw out.  I wore down the cutting wheel on my Drexel so it was a smaller diameter and wouldn't cut into the surrounding metal as much.  Good luck with it.
Thanks, what you see in the pic is what was left of the screw before I tried to just twist it out with my dikes......not realizing just how soft they are. I actually just managed to chop it off to almost nothing! I had a little left and actually tried cutting a groove in it after heating it some and hitting it with some penetrant last night. It was just too small and too soft.
I managed to drill a hole right down the center and ran a tap down that hole through the remaining brass. It worked.
And yes, it's a Tiburon frame.
coralsea

« Reply #306 on: September 11, 2020, 02:06:01 PM »

Dog's trick...Easy-)))

no pain-no gain
RowdyW
Firearms Group

« Reply #307 on: September 11, 2020, 03:22:30 PM »

When you go to put it all together replace these drag washers with carbon fiber drag washers. The ones that came out look like outdated Smoothies from Smoothdrag. Carbon fiber washers greased with Cal's drag grease will give you much better preformance.              Rudy
coralsea

« Reply #308 on: September 12, 2020, 12:49:26 AM »

I know that...

no pain-no gain
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: