111 senator

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 05:26:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maine guide

Hi All,

First post here.  What a great site.

I've been following Alan's work for years and have stripped/cleaned/upgraded all of my Squidders and Jigmasters to pass away the long winters.

Then I decided to take on my Dad's 2/0.  I have seen this reel laying around since the early 70's and I seem to recall him saying he had it when he was a kid - let's say he acquired in the late 50's early 60's.  Anyway, I know he never took the thing apart, and it was in pristine condition.  When I opened it up, it already had the 1 + 5 configuration.  Was that common?  Did they switch to the 1 + 3 at some point?

Thanks again all for the great site!

Norcal Pescador

I don't believe Penn ever put a 1+5 in the 111, but what do I know? ;D 
Good luck with the reel: it's not fast, but I like mine enough to make a few upgrades.

And welcome to the site!

Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Alto Mare

Welcome maine guide.
Are you sure that you counted 1+5? As Rob mentioned, I've never seen one, can you show us a picture?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

fodf

MG, I have the same reel (see reply #26). They do indeed exist. Mine is the easy drag access model with the pressure drag washer. Eric

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 29, 2012, 08:39:10 PM
Welcome maine guide.
Are you sure that you counted 1+5? As Rob mentioned, I've never seen one, can you show us a picture?

Interesting..... Penn throws us for a loop again. And I thought Sal had seen it all. :D  I wonder if Senator collector (Broadway) Dom has one he's been keeping us in the dark about. ;D
Rob

maine guide

Thanks guys.  I put her all back together a few weeks back.  Next time I open it up, I will shoot some pic's.  Have to put her into action first.  Tough to take reels apart with a 2 1/2 year old running around!!

After taking that apart, I went on to take apart a 49 Super Mariner that I picked up at a flea market in mint condition.  Can't wait to give that one a try!!

Thanks again for all the advice and insight.

Rick

Alto Mare

The Penn 111 is not rated for 1+5. If you find one, I'm sure it didn't come from penn. The 1+5 will shred the gears and the only thing that the ss sleeve will do is  help shred them faster. The ss sleeve and a nice handle is still a good upgrade, but I would keep the drag stack on that particular reel to 1+3...as Rob did. The 111 should be fished at around 10lb, you need more impact, use a bigger hammer. Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Norcal Pescador

I put the 1+5 in my 111 more as a lark and experiment. I don't expect to go after anything bigger than a 15 pound lingcod with it. No mods were made that I can't undo and I can make it original again. On my original post (right after Alan's tutorial), I note 16 pounds max drag and that I would use the heck out of it. Well, the 2.5:1 gears mean everyone's waiting for me to bring my line up when the captain says it's time to move, so I don't use it much. It looks like new so it's more of a dust collector / backup reel, now spooled with straight 30 pound mono.
Sal, you're right about the gear train - drag on this reel probably should be 10 pounds max if you want the gears to last.
Rob

Alto Mare

Sorry Rob, I thought you had the 1+3. A 30lb line is a good call though. Sal

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 31, 2012, 04:42:52 PM
Sorry Rob, I thought you had the 1+3. A 30lb line is a good call though. Sal
Hey bud, no problem. I'll probably change it back to 1+3 when (if?) I ever wear out the 1+5 stack. At the current rate, about 2026. :D ;)
Rob
Rob

alantani

yeah, it should have been a "1+5" drag system.  i'll bet someone got into it before.  hey, maybe it was even your dad!  for this reel, a stainless steel gear sleeve is not that big of a deal, but for the 49 mariner, it would be.  i have them and so does mysticparts.com.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Rancanfish

The zombie thread is back....

Sorry guys, I keep seeing mention of the aluminum spool.  Which spool fits the 2/0 111?

And isn't this basically a jigmaster size with dinky drags and an extra sideplate ring?
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

mo65

Quote from: Rancanfish on August 25, 2017, 11:14:06 PM
The zombie thread is back....

Sorry guys, I keep seeing mention of the aluminum spool.  Which spool fits the 2/0 111?

And isn't this basically a jigmaster size with dinky drags and an extra sideplate ring?

The 29L-85 is the spool you want. It can be found in LB60s, Delmar 285s,
and 185 Seaboys. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

mhc

Hi Randy, Mo is right (he replied while I was typing) The 29L-85 fits the 2/0 111 as well as the 85, longbeach 60 and others. The spools are about 3/16" taller and about 1/8" wider than a jigmaster 501 spool. The 2/0 has a 5-66 main gear (2.25:1) which is a smaller dia than the jigmaster gear but a bit deeper and will take a 5 stack drag. The 29L-85 is a bit hard to find at the moment but they do turn up, usually in a reel.
Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Rancanfish

Thanks guys.  I was curious is all.  I don't have a 2/0.

I think I have a 85 spool in my stash of spools.  I wonder why I had it.  I have lots of reel parts that I picked up, that I can't remember what my plan was.

I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.