111 senator

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 05:26:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

The 2/0 and 3/0 both had outer access drags from 1946- approx 1950
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

mo65

Hey folks...did anyone else see the 2/0 that sold last night on fleabay? Check out the Tib frame...is this a limited production thing? Very cool item! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

swill88

I almost went for that. Woke up this morning to buy and it was gone. :-X

"Hi's Special" most likely refers to Hi's Tacklebox. It's a San Francisco landmark as far as I'm concerned (now in South SF).

Still a great local shop. http://www.tackletour.com/reviewhistacklebox.html

steve

mo65

I was thinkin' hard about it too Steve...and I figured "Hi's" was a local shop or sporting goods place. Thanks for the info! 8)

Maxed Out

Very rarely seen Mo......Tiburon supposedly only made 20 or so and they were all special ordered for Hi's tackle shop

It's more for looks IMO, cause a stock 2/0 don't have enough drag#'s to twist a stock seat with 3 screws on each side and 6 frame posts. The stock 2/0 was way overbuilt to begin with

Ted

foakes

Ted is right, IMO --

With the (6) posts, double sideplate rings, and a stand with a clamp -- these are just fine without a frame.

Tough reels that will do the job they are designed for -- within the drag numbers, or even a little higher.

Got a couple -- one came from Jonathan, spooled with old dacron when new, and never on a rod.

The other came from Ted -- the swirled aqua blue crank knob is very unique.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Maxed Out

Nice reels Fred...... When you say "unique blue swirl knob", that equals rare as hen's teeth coming from a man who has seen a bazillion Penn handles. Glad you ended up with it !!

Ted

mo65

Quote from: Maxed Out on August 26, 2017, 10:30:32 PM
Very rarely seen Mo......Tiburon supposedly only made 20 or so and they were all special ordered for Hi's tackle shop

It's more for looks IMO, cause a stock 2/0 don't have enough drag#'s to twist a stock seat with 3 screws on each side and 6 frame posts. The stock 2/0 was way overbuilt to begin with

Same thing I always figured too Ted...you could slap a 7-stack in the 2/0 and it could handle it. I was wondering what all that frame was drilled for...will  LB60 plates work? Imagining a hot rod high powered Sea Gate or something! :o

Quote from: foakes on August 26, 2017, 10:55:41 PM
The other came from Ted -- the swirled aqua blue crank knob is very unique.

Ahh...the holy grail of stock Penn knobs...I too am glad to see Fred with that jewel! 8)

Caranx

Let's get a closer look at that blue swirled knob.
I curious to see.

mo65

Quote from: Caranx on April 19, 2020, 12:25:26 PM
Let's get a closer look at that blue swirled knob.
I curious to see.

Here is a little closer look: https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=18784.msg206663#msg206663

Swami805

Found one on fleabay a few weeks ago and bought it on a lark. Accurate made some frames too. Anyway when I saw it some reason my brain started turning and a 111 is the same size pretty much as an international 6 and thought well maybe ????   Sadly the screw holes don't line up as I thought. since the 111 has so many frame screws I thought I might get lucky but it wasn't to be.  Tapping screws holes in the frame isn't in my wheelhouse
Likely makes no sense to pursue this but that's never stopped me before, haha. If anyone with the skills to tap some holes for me is interested give me a holler. Thanks
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Bill B

Sheridan, that would be an interesting reel.  I would break out in sweats and shakes if I even though about drilling and tapping that frame.... :o   Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Rancanfish

I want to know how I missed that.   I hit Randy up a year ago for a frame.  Unobtainium.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

SteveL

Quote from: Rancanfish on December 25, 2020, 05:01:47 AM
I want to know how I missed that.   I hit Randy up a year ago for a frame.  Unobtainium.

Yeah,  I watched for one of those frames for a couple of years.  You snooze, you lose.