Which Reel 50-60# class?

Started by Frogznlogz, July 24, 2009, 02:35:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frogznlogz

I'm in need of a 50-60# class reel for SoCal island fishing ( not trolling, mind you- I already purchased a Senator 6/0 for that).  These are a few of the reels I'm considering (and some of my thoughts) , but don't know much about them and could use some help deciding. Having already purchased several rods, reels, and other tackle recently (and wanting to actually be able to still afford to go fishing)  my budget is around 200 bucks. 

1. Penn 4/0 Metal Senator.  Looks like a solid well built reel with stainless guts, but penn went cheap and put in a non stainless bridge sleeve. ( Go figure)- I just bought 2 stainless sleeves for my jigmasters and Penn Parts does not have the stainless sleeves as they are a newer reel and there are not that many out there.

2. Daiwa SLD30 single speed.  Also looks pretty solid and has an aluminum frame.  Don't know much about them, but they are being clearanced and I don't see any info on Daiwa's website leading me to believe they are being discontinued?

3. Penn GLD30 single speed.  One piece graphite frame.  Don't know if that is a good thing or bad thing.  Penn makes good stuff, but I'm not sure about the lower end of the price spectrum...

4. Newell 533 ( or 540 ).  A little bit more Old School.  Again, don't know if that's a good thing or bad thing (tried and true or outdated technology?)  Newells have always had a good reputation as far as I know, and the narrow 533 frame would be less prone to failure.  I hate the looks of their handles, however, and replacing it would be a priority.

So... any thoughts or advice would be welcome. Thanks.

alantani

for what it is and what it does, i think that the basic, red side plate 4/0 penn senator 113h is the best bargain around.  you have to go through it first, but i think they are perfect reels for straight 50-60 mono.  anything you get needs to be gone through, first. 

the metal senator - i've actually never ever seen one in person. 

the daiwa sld 30 single speed - it's too wide and they are a nightmare to service. 

the penn gld 30 single speed - get the 20 if you go that way.  they're fine. 

the newell 533 - i have two of them somewhere in the garage.  my brother and i used them on our last long range trip.  great for casting. 

somewhere in the garage, i have a wide tiburon senator frame and a wide spool.  i can build a reel with a 6/0 kolekar handle for that price.  send me a pm if you're interested. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!