Penn International 50 question (vintage)

Started by Loolee 3, June 12, 2012, 05:46:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

erikpowell

Thanks for that George, I'll give em a call!

alantani

crud. i looked and i don't have one.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

erikpowell

oh well, thanks for checking anyway alan!!   
and PayPal on its way too ya!
Erik

Norcal Pescador

I rebuilt a 50-V and upgraded the drag to the 117DN-50. No thanks on asbestos. It was a plug-n-play operation. Grease the CF with Cal's drag grease, apply Yamaha Marine grease to all of the other surfaces and reassemble. (See my 'A Successful Rebuild' post under "Fishing" "Member Fishing Reports and Photos")
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: alantani on November 10, 2017, 04:53:12 PM
rob, good to see you again!
Good to be here, Alan! If the earth was flat I would indeed have fallen off.  ;D
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Funky

I am currently servicing a vintage 50W and I see lots of references to the thick single layer asbestos drag washer. I also see many suggesting to apply a coating of Cal's to the newer HT-100 and wiping most of it off, but I see no mention of what to do with the asbestos one. It does not appear to be glazed or fouled in any way. The whole reel is very clean, thought the grease has aged, but the asbestos looks like a brand new brake pad for your car. I think it seldom left the house.

Alan or anyone have any suggestions of how to service it? Unless someone convinces me otherwise, I inclined to just make sure it's clean & dry and re-install it as is.

Swami805

If it's for fishing replace the old drag washers,the performance is much better. If it's for the shelf leave it stock.
Do what you can with that you have where you are