Equipment to Get Started in Reel Maintenance and Repair

Started by ak555, June 15, 2012, 07:43:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harryk3616

Quote from: seaeagle2 on June 16, 2012, 03:13:54 PM
I would recommend getting a few dog springs for the Penns, they are very small and easy to lose (guess how I know) and not very expensive, so having a few extras around for when they go shooting off into the great unknown is pretty handy       what i do is put a small dab of grease where the spring goes and if things don't go right,  the spring don't go flying in the air to be lost       

harryk3616

Quote from: TARFU on June 15, 2012, 08:24:13 PM
AK---Great list, I would strongly suggest you replace the ratcheting screw driver with a cordless, they can be bought relatively cheap (you don't need anything powerful 4.9 volt does it for me), and a screwdriver bit set also.

I found a  100 Piece Security Bit Set (item #91310) and cordless screw driver at Harbor Freight, money well spent, you'll end up with carpel tunnel syndrome in a matter of minutes the other way, plus I sometimes find it difficult holding and turning screws by hand, the magnetic tips help hold non-stainless steel screws.  I've also discovered the cordless helps tame the frustration of taking the same reel apart for the 3rd time  >:(, because there are some extra parts left over or it "just doesn't feel right".  ;D

I have used a piece of large cardboard as a work mat on the kitchen table with good success, the cardboard helps absorb cleaners and degreasers, keeping the work site cleaner, then just throw away when too crusty to use again.

For a toothbrush/brushes, my kids still think the green stuff on their brushes is "extra flouride" ;D Any brush will do you, find the ones the dentist gives me after a visit work great or a set of "acid" brushes with the metal handles work fine also.

You'll also need some kind of punch to remove the gear sleeve on the Penn's, anything from a nail to a 1/16" punch will do.

Try Harbor Freight for alot of the hand tools....they may not be name brands...but the price is nearly "always right".

Welcome to a wonderful and informative site, and a great bunch of people who enjoy the sport of fishing and reel repair.---Bill
just picked up a replacement 4.9 cordless screwdriver kit they call it at harbor freight $10

Seachaser

Lowes has a two screwdriver set on sale for 19.95.  Both are speed ratchets, one a precision and one regular.  The bits are worth that.  Also, they have the hitachi lithium rechargeable screwdriver for 64 bucks.  Great little driver/drill and comes with two lithium batteries and charger.  Note on the dremel: Get a real Dremel. I use mine everyday and Dremel is a great company that stands behind its stuff. Get the variable speed, it is the best investment in my shop. (I work on lots of other stuff)

floating doc

Wow, that's a really cheap price, plus free shipping!

You can't beat a scale for setting drags.
Central Florida

Ralphc

Looking at your list of reels I am going to put in a FYI: Shimano TLD30-II  the most time consuming part of overhauling this reel is the time on your knees looking for the Handle Shift Pin Lock Spring!!! When you go to remove the handle there are two small screws holding the handle shift pin cover on the Handle. This is the first thing that you have to remove to take the Handle off. Once you remove the screws you are exposing your self to knee pain if you don't put you hand over the cover, the lock spring shoot out of its slot when you move the slide plate. Have a spare on site it will save you lots of time the spring is about 1/8"D X 1/4"L and can fly! There's a trick to replace the spring but like a bird you put it in place and let it go or move the Slide spring Knee Pain. I have found that putting a lot of grease on the spring and slide plate acts like glue and keeps the spring from flying out.

:'( ???

Black Lab

I have always used grease on bearings except spool bearings. I have tested the TSI 301 an it works great. Is it possible to do away with grease an go just with this oil lube? I can hardly believe it is better than Corrosion X. In Florida we used it on all sorts of items. Has anyone taken the leap an used it only, rather than grease. It's better than RemOil an anything else I know of.

johndtuttle

Quote from: Black Lab on October 24, 2015, 10:25:43 PM
I have always used grease on bearings except spool bearings. I have tested the TSI 301 an it works great. Is it possible to do away with grease an go just with this oil lube? I can hardly believe it is better than Corrosion X. In Florida we used it on all sorts of items. Has anyone taken the leap an used it only, rather than grease. It's better than RemOil an anything else I know of.

TSI is great stuff but starts getting expensive when you start slathering it all over the place.

Grease is cheaper and is generally better at staying on high wear surfaces like gears or sticking to those hidden areas we grease for long term protection like side plates or under side plate rings.

Other than that, go nuts, you aren't going to hurt anything, just maybe have to service it more often. Grease is always better for long term applications or where speed is immaterial.

Keep in mind that many reels don't like being opened a lot. Screws strip or heads wear etc. The makers assume they will rarely be opened.

Glos

You will need this traveler hook.
For reels and many other things.
Luck is when good preparation meets opportunity.

boon

Crimes?  ;D

(they're a rather handy thing for opening certain locked doors)

Glos

Quote from: boon on July 12, 2022, 02:06:09 AMCrimes?  ;D

(they're a rather handy thing for opening certain locked doors)
No, not ( for me) crimes. Found it in an Alfa Romeo I bought.
Wondered what it`s for.
Only to find out how super handy it really is in all sorts of fiddling.
Beside crimes. Probably that is why they call it traveler`s hook. They travel, and break in. And what not.
Luck is when good preparation meets opportunity.