Daiwa Saltist speed downgrade?

Started by reelin, July 26, 2009, 08:47:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reelin

Hi,
Is it possible to change the speed of a Saltist 30TH and 40H to a Saltist 30T/ and 40?

If my logic serves me correctly, based on the schematics of a 30TH/40H and a 30T/40...

I need to replace the 30TH's Key#29 - Pinion Gear (E61-1301) and Key#34 - Drive Gear (E61-1401) and get the one for a Saltist 30T's Key#29 - Pinion Gear (G45-9701) and Key#34 - Drive Gear (G60-4101).

Is that correct? Would like to have more torque both on my Saltist 30TH and 40H.

Best regards,
Anthony

alantani

anthony, unless i'm missing something, it should be very simple.  call daiwa.  they should be able to answer that question.  let me know if you hit a roadblock.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

reelin

Follow-up question Alan, in case I do make my reel a low-gear one. Would that make cranking my jig lighter? I mean lighter on my arms? 

Cause yesterday I was using my Saltist 30TH (6.4:1 speed) with a 300gram jig. It was quite a workout... then I tried my friends Jigging Master PE4 reel (Speed 4:1) (with 300gram jig) and boy I was jigging with less effort. Jigged the whole afternoon and I still felt ok. ;D

alantani

you know, i really need to get out somewhere and try this jigging style of fishing.  it's something that has not been picked up in northern california and i'm not sure why.  i would think that a higher gear ratio reel would be easier to work with.  want to go fast?  just crank fast.  want to go slow?  crank slow.  with a low speed reel, you have to wind like crazy to get any speed going.  hook up on a big fish with a high speed reel?  just wind down and lift. 

all of this from a guy that has never jigged before.  i think a trip to the east coast is in order.  us west coast guys could probably learn a thing or two!

chris73

I received the 50 as a present and was planning to use it for offshore Cod off Montauk, but I'm reading that the 6.4-1 ratio will make it difficult to pull 25lb fish out of deep water. Is this so?

alantani

no.  high speed gears change the game a little, but i prefer them.  you just have to change your style a little.  you can't grind away.  you have to lift and reel down, lift and reel down.  i use a progear classic series 501 and it has a 6:1 gear ratio.  alan